We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
399 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

Has anyone stayed here? I can't seem to find any reviews on this place.

21 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

Heven't stayed there, but I found a unit in the complex on vrbo.com. No idea if it's the unit you are considering, but it got uniformly good reviews covering a decent period of time. You might want to take a look-see.

FYI, Makaha is a long way from a lot of places.....

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

Very few visitors stay in Makaha. It's just not a place most people would think of staying. Very poor side of the island and a fairly large homeless population. Getting from there to any of the most popular sights on Oahu would take at least an hour or two. Not to mention the early morning and evening rush hours.

3. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 am, April 12, 2012

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

Brian- Spam and promotion of your rental site is prohibited on Fodors. We are all sick of advertising.

Revelstoke, British...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

It's my true opinion of the area. Apparently there were no other postings that indicated the true value of Makaha. I just wanted to give the readers another point of view of an area worth considering, especially the person who originally posted the question (2 months ago).

spokane
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

We have stayed at the MVP twice now. The two condos were very different, one 2 bdrm, the other 3 bdrm. One was very well stocked, the other wasn't. One was a little more comfortable than the other. But all in all, I'd stay in either of them again. The grounds are groomed. Some of the condos have a view of the beach. The place is well secured, and security makes rounds often. There are a lot of rules, but I think as long as you respect the place you are staying, you will be fine. It is better for families or couples who want to just relax on the beach. There are 2 pools, each with a kiddie pool and hot tub. Tennis courts, and bbq pits are also there. My kiddos loved the peacocks and fowls roaming the grounds, however the first few days that is what you wake up to (starting around 5 or 5:30am) You can purchase a laundry card for $5 and then load money onto it to do your wash (1.50 a load for wash or dry).

The condos are in Makaha, about an hour from the airport, 1.5 hour from waikiki or the North Shore. This side of the island (the leeward side) is not as lush, there are plenty of trees, but it is definitely more dry. The weather was fantastic though and the view of the mountains is beautiful. The drive is a little slower, but that is the Island way. It is a beautiful drive. Stop in Makakilo/Kapolei area for shopping, Costco, Safeway, etc. The waves tend to be a little bigger in the winter months, but we found a great variety at the beginning of May, and a little less rough in June. The dolphins frequent this side of the island. Every morning we would go to Makua beach and see the dolphins out. There is fantastic snorkeling and the sea turtles can be found here too.

If you are looking for a vacation with lots of night life and tourist things, this isn't is. We would spend one or two days on the beach and then take a drive to different places around the island. Two trips up to the North Shore, a drive around the south side of the island, and a day in Waikiki and the zoo.

You will be around the locals. We had a great time and felt welcomed. The kids loved to have someone to play with at the pool.

We will definitely go back.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

Makaha Valley Plantation is a fantastic place to stay. We stayed there a couple of times and loved it so much that we purchased a unit in the plantation ourselves.

I agree with everything that corkyjo said. If you want to stay at a place where you can really relax and unwind and mingle with a great bunch of locals then this is a perfect place for you.

Please don't tell too many people about this hidden gem or 'progress' will invade the leeward coast and it will become a concrete jungle just like Honololu.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

Seems as if there is a tout here.

9. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, February 11, 2013

Olds, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?

We have stayed here. So my wife found this condo for a great reasonable rate for two bedrooms on VRBO. I later found one on another site and it was in the same complex but had 3 bedrooms and close to the same price. We ended up cancelling the 2 bedroom and went with the 3 bedroom. We arrived late a night, got lost (didn't realize my GPS was not set for Hawaii so it had no roads) and got to the place very late. After getting our stuff to the top floor I couldn't get the keybox lock combination to open the lock to get the key. Finally after many attempts we did get it open and was able to gain access. The pictures were not at all what it represented. Anyway long story short it was a dump, very dirty and roach infested. We went down the hill to I think a Sheraton and stayed the night. In the morning we contacted our original rental and asked if we could see it. Very different condo. Totally renovated and very very clean.

All this to say be careful who you rent from.

Aside from that here is my review.

Loved the property, great pools, very nicely landscaped. We actually really enjoyed being where locals where. Not so commercialized. The beaches not overpopulated, our favorite was Yok's a short drive away.

It was a bit of a drive to anywhere we wanted to go elsewhere on the island. The highway after about EWA heading west turns into single lane and there was construction every day so that had a factor in our drive time.

Close to Ko Olina which has great snorkeling and beach bumming/swimming.

We really enjoyed that side of the island but this year we decided we are going to stay at Ko Olina (Kai Lani). Its a little more central to the things we visited most, good access to North shore Highway and can still go west to our favorite beach.

I don't want to offend anyone or break rules posting the place we stayed so if you want send me a message and I will look for the link on vrbo and send it to you. I don't get a kickback, just trying to help someone enjoy a place we did and avoid the one we got scammed on.

Reply to: Makaha Valley Plantation Condo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted