We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

makaha for a month

Vancovuer Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
makaha for a month

I am thinking of visiting Hawaii for a month with my 11 year old daughter and have never been there. We want to go very reasonably and are looking at private rentals in Makaha. I am seeing mixed reviews. Is it safe or should one not go out at night. I would rather not be in a big city like Wakaki as I live Vancouver and would like uncrowded beaches. We like to swim snorkel and are learning to surf. The most reasonable place I have found is for $1100 us month. Any suggestins as to whether or not this would be too rural or a good chose for vacation would be greatly appreciated. I am open to any other ideas for places in Hawaii that are reasonable as my daughter seems to have her heart set on Hawaii because of the big waves for surfing. I had heard that local buses can be taken in the day to most of the rest of Oahu and there is good areas to hike around there.

thank you

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: makaha for a month

I, personally, would not stay in Makaha for a vacation. Yes, some of the rentals appear to be very, very nice, but what you don't see is what surrounds them. It is a low income area w/a lot of homeless tent cities on the beach areas. The beaches are nice and relatively uncrowded--on weekdays. Weekends are strictly for the locals. I was up there today w/my nephew (14 yrs) and I didn't feel real comfortable.

Try the North Shore or Windward coasts to get away from the city crowds.

ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: makaha for a month

we just got back yesterday, and took a drive towards makaha. we were supose to stay in waianae, and i am glad we changed our reservation. it was dirty, and there were people with tents on the beaches. kinda scared me to drive thru there. go to the north shore area. wow the views are great. you experience the true hawaii. we stayed in waikiki and wish we would have stayed at the north shore or another island. with an 11 year old, find another place to stay.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
365 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: makaha for a month

We just recently stayed a week at the Hawaiian Princess in Makaha and it was great. Yes that area is rundown and definitely a poor residential neighborhood, but we never had any problems and the beach there at the condo was never over crowded, mostly folks staying at the condos and a few locals. Everyone was friendly, no trouble. The lanais face west so you will see the most beautiful sunsets each evening. Actually we noticed a few questionable neighborhoods in Waikiki also, just here and there, not all of Waikiki, but it was so crowded there - I was VERY glad we didn't stay in the city. The only downside to Makaha for me was the traffic (H1 is always busy and there is road construction in Waianea) and not many restaurants, just a few fast food places. Makaha also has the cheapest gas prices that we saw on the island.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: makaha for a month

I lived on Oahu for a year, and I don't think staying in Makaha would be a good choice for your first visit. If you had visited a million times and were familiar with the island or had friends or family on Oahu I would think it would be fine, but that's not the case. It would also take you forever to get around by bus from Makaha. Try looking on the North Shore (although if you're there in winter the houses might be more expensive or booked), or on the Windward side (east side) of the island. There are beautiful beaches on the Windward side.

Also if your daughter doesn't know how to surf she won't be going anywhere near the "big waves." Even if she does know how to surf those should be left up to the professionals. The south shore, including Waikiki, is a great place to learn how to surf.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
554 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: makaha for a month

How about finding somewhere on the windward side of the island instead? Lanikai, Kailua, etc.

Vancovuer Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: makaha for a month

Thank you all for your advise. I am so glad I did not book my flight and reserve a place. We have decided to go back to Playa del Carmen and Isla du Mujeres in Mexico for the month of August as I spent a month there 2 years ago and found the water beautiful, accomodation reasonable and the area very safe for getting around. One day we will viisit Hawaii for a week or two to get our own opinion.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
554 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: makaha for a month

Oh I'm sorry your not going to go to Hawaii -- but that's a nice area where your going as well. I just hope Hurricane Emily stays away -- the last I looked this afternoon -- it looked like it was making a direct path towards the Yucatan :(

Crossville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: makaha for a month

You will have a good time in Mexico. But--you are making a mistake not going to Hawaii.

Waianae, Makaha Valley, is not a ritzy place but very enjoyable and comfortabel. The people are very friendly and the place is reasonable. We have owned a condo there for years and vacation there every winter. We love it.There is a beautiful beach around every curve in the road. These beaches are not crowded. Someone mentioned the homeless. They are there in specific spots--not every where and not on many beaches. They are being pushed to the end of the island.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: makaha for a month

As a Kama`aina (long term resident -a term

bestowed to by a native-local born...)

I concur with Mrs. Fuzz and Merry Travels.

A day visit ride over to Makaha is sufficient.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: makaha for a month

Well, lets be honest-there is no place on Oahu that doesn't have homeless people sleeping in tents, cars, or on the ground. Even Waikiki parks have a good number or scary characters. And yes, some of the properties on the west end look run down-but check the real estate ads-we couldn't afford most of those "shacks" because the land they sit on is sold by the square foot. Staying in Waianae is like staying in a small town. A few fast food places, a few cafes,a drugstore, a couple groceries.It has what you need but it isn't fancy. The Hawaiian Princess and the Makaha Beach Cabanas are two great places to stay and have their own secluded beach that is totally safe. Nice for snorkelling or gentle boarding. Each place has good security(same as any resort on the island). Stay clear of the Makaha Surfside condos further south over there though. Some units have been renovated and are clean but you have quite a few units that are dumps and attract a bad sort of renter. Also their beach is not swimmable due to rocks and so they have a pool instead. The Princess and the Cabanas have seaturtles, dolphins and, in the winter, whales. The Surfside has drug dealers,domestics and road noise. Just know that no place is totally safe, not Vancouver, not Waikiki, not the North Shore, and not Waianae. Hope this helps if you change your mind or if you go next year. Have fun!