We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Waialua

Calgary
2 posts
Save Topic
Christmas in Waialua

We are looking at staying on the beach at Waialua for Christmas 2013. Is the beach safe here at this time of year?...I am told that a reef in this area keeps the waves calmer than further up the coast. There will be 6 children ages 11 to 2 years old so we would prefer calmer water. Would appreciate any other comments about the area. M

6 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Waialua

Yes, you need to hear from some folks who know the lay of the land. Generally, you don't want North Shore for swimming in December. I am surprised that there are any accomodations open at this late date - which makes me skeptical.

Let's hear what others have to say ... msfuzz, dusty or amberloo.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Waialua

"I am surprised that there are any accomodations open at this late date"

BLBL - Christmas 2013, not 2012. More than a year away.

It is on the North Shore & will get significant surf. I don't know if I would trust the ocean there will small kids. Watch the surf reports carefully. Most (or at least many) of the North Shore beaches have riptides in the winter season.

Even when the surf appears to be low, there can be riptides. Make sure you swim only where there are lifeguards. Ask them where there might be riptides.

We rarely mention Waialua on this forum as questions are rarely asked about Waialua.

Go to the Oahu forum (not the Waialua forum). Use the search: Waialua

The reason I mention the Oahu forum is any forum thread on the Oahu forum that mentions Waialua will show up including the threads on the Wailua forum. But if someone asked about Waialua on the Oahu forum, the forum thread would not show up on the Waialua forum.

Waialua is about an hour from Honolulu/Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, National Cemetery and many other attractions.

I think Kailua/Laniakai area would be better with small kids for swimming. And it is much closer to the main attractions.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Waialua

Sorry about the "date slip," cal and Dusty. A weakness of mine. My bad.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Waialua

"I think Kailua/Laniakai area would be better with small kids for swimming. And it is much closer to the main attractions."

Kailua/Lanikai area will be much more expensive than Waialua, especially for properties on or overlooking the beach.

For the same $$ a block or two away from the beach in Kailua/Lanikai, you can get a property on the beach in Waialua.

So you do need to take your budget in consideration.

What's better for you, only you can decide.

If you do choose Waialua, on the days the surf is high, you can go to the attractions in or near Honolulu.

You can also go to Turtle Bay Resort. Free beach pass. Kuilima Cove at Turtle Bay Resort is sheltered, so swimable all year.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Waialua

I'm with dusty, wouldn't trust the ocean up there during the winter months. The closest beach that has a lifeguard would be in Haleiwa.

Calgary
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Waialua

Thank you for these responses....the owner of the place I am looking at said that the reef protects and that it is like a lake...maybe I will continue looking for the Kailua area. It is a lot pricier...for sure..

Reply to: Christmas in Waialua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waialua
Recent Conversations