We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oahu Food questions

Lemont, Illinois...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Oahu Food questions

Couple of questions. We are staying at Aulani.

When we went to St. John USVI we were told that we could pack and check a soft-sided cooler with meats and other frozen items. People said to do it because meat and stuff like that was crazy expensive. So we thought maybe we would do the same for this trip to Hawaii since we have a kitchen. Breakfast and maybe 1 extra meal per day on our own. Also believe Aulani has BBQ grills for guests to use.

When we went to Maui years ago we found neat the middle of the island in the harbor a store that sold awesome Tuna Salad. We would purchase some and picnic on the beach with it. Any suggestions for places to get awesome freshly made Tuna Salad. There has to be someplace.

Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oahu Food questions

Eating resort food at Aulani (or any resort) is expensive. Will you have a car? If yes, there is no reason to bring food with you.

And don't forget the expense of checking an extra bag.

Lemont, Illinois...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oahu Food questions

Yes we will have a car. That would be the only bag we check, with washer/dryer in the room we don't need much. So your saying Costco over bringing in our own frozen food.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oahu Food questions

What about fish prices? Do you guys eat fish? Does anyone know if it's cheaper?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oahu Food questions

Aloha Keith,

I think you are going to love Aulani. Like any other deluxe beachfront resort in Hawaii, the food can be pricey, but I will tell you this, the $8 bowl of oatmeal with berries I ordered for breakfast at AMA AMA at Aulani could have easily fed a family of 3 or 4! LOL

Costco and a Target are scarcely 10 minutes from Costco. And Costco has really good sashimi and poke. Buy stuff for breakfast & sandwiches and that alone will save you a lot. There has to a be a Foodland near Aulani, and I would be surprised if they don't have a superb tuna salad for you. Often they will let you sample things there. We love to go to the Foodland Farms on Maui and sample their various pokes before deciding. MMMMmm.

If you're staying a while, I pack lots of various sized zip loc bags, spices &/or rubs for grilling/cooking fish, steaks, etc. Also, pack some fabric softener sheets in a zip loc so you won't have to buy it. There should be a 1 box of detergent for you in the villa, but you would have to buy any additional. I like to pack a collapsible insulated cooler (it folds flat) for everything from Costco runs (it's a lot longer drive for our Costco runs on Maui than you will have) to picnics and day outings.

Do NOT miss seeing the Starlit Hui show at Aulani. It is really wonderful. The spa is also amazing. If you have any questions about Aulani, let us know, or PM me.

As for fish, at least on Maui where we spend the vast part of our Hawaii vacations, we find local fish to be very expensive. But DIVINE. Costco's is the best price I have personally seen.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oahu Food questions

Oops! "Costco & Target are scarcely 10 minutes from AULANI"! And now I know why I generally hit "Preview" first before posting….. LOL!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oahu Food questions

Here's a link to a map for the Foodland closest to Aulani:

www.foodland.com/stores/foodland-kapolei

Edited: 8:15 pm, March 16, 2014
Seattle
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oahu Food questions

Keith, grocery store food on O'ahu is really not that terribly much more expensive than the mainland. So yes, if you have a car, buy at Costco, Foodland, Safeway, etc. rather than dragging frozen food along.

Pick up loyalty cards, such as the Maika'i card for Foodland, for savings at the grocery stores.

And eat like a local. It will be less expensive and part of the adventure!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oahu Food questions

Yep another one doing the Costco / Target / Walmart run here from Aulani. There is also a few restaurants and store across the road from Aulani that is handy for meals in your room.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,426 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oahu Food questions

Costco and Safeway will have everything you need with pretty high quality.

On days you head into Honolulu you might head to one of the fish markets, although both Safeway & Costco have pretty good fish.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oahu Food questions

There are many grocery items more expensive in Hawaii than on the mainland. Some prices are the sameBut overall, maybe 5%-10% more than on the mainland.

But as others have said, get the loyalty cards at Safeway & Foodland. Go to Costco if you are a member. Buy items at farmers markets.

Not worth bringing food from home.

But do bring spices, tea, coffee in ziplock bags. They take up little space in your luggage.

Do bring a soft-sided cooler as it folds up & takes little space in your luggage. You can use it for road trips. Or just leave the soft-sided cooler at home & buy a cheap styrofoam cooler on Oahu.