We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in November

Bally, PA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling in November

Hello. My wife and I are making our first trip to Oahu the first week of November. We are staying with a friend at Aulani (He is a Disney Vacation Club member). I have snorkeled a couple times in the past, and was hoping to do it from the beach in Oahu. After doing a lot of research on these forums, I just read that November is in the 'High Surf' season and am now assuming this will impact snorkeling from many beaches. Are there certain 'sides' of the island that you can safely snorkel from the beach in November? Of course I would be looking for an area where I can actually see some widlife. I should also note that we will have a rental car for the entire week, and we plan to do a lot of driving to check out the island. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in November

November is the beginning of the high surf on the North Shore, not so much around Waikiki and points south. The Ko Olina lagoons, where you are staying, are protected from the surf and some offer very decent snorkeling. Hanauma Bay is both south and protected by its shape and reefs.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in November

The lagoons' in Ko Olina will fine to snorkel in November because they are protected, like Deubster say's. Lagoon #4 will offer the best. You will want to avoid any north or north/west facing beaches. Hanauma Bay will be good as will the Marine Life Conservation District in Waikiki. There are a few places on the windward side that are good if it's not raining!! Kaiona Beach Park and the pier near Makapuu.

Bally, PA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in November

Thank you both for the replies. Glad to hear there will be some places to snorkel from the beach that time of year.

4. Re: Snorkeling in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 23, 2014