We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

Hi,

Just a question to all who have stayed at Ko Olina. I noticed when looking at all the beach photos, I would see lots of recliners and never a single sun umbrella. Then I found out that umbrellas are "banned" on the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon beach. I couldn't believe it, how is that supposed to work for families that have a child under 1 yr old for example who really need a place in shade? Or adults who for various reasons simply can't sit in the open sun?

So I called the Ko Olina security office (Marriott informed me it's not really their policy but the Ko Olina assocation or whatever), and they said some years ago an umbrella went flying and hit a little girl, so they banned them all. Now I don't know the particulars of this incident and hopefully it wasn't tragic, but come on, when a kid slips on the pool decking and cuts his head, is the pool forever closed to future guests? Costco now sells Tommy Bahama umbrellas that have a corkscrew-like bottom pole that is designed to prevent the flyaway umbrellas. Wouldn't that be sufficient? And if you're not going to allow guests to bring their own beach umbrellas, for God's sake at least provide sturdy weighted umbrellas to guests that aren't able to sit in the open sun.

Sorry for the long winded way to ask if anyone has had problems on the beach here with the "no umbrella" policy?

Mentioned in this post
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott Ko Olina Beach...
3,309 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Costco
Costco
90 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

Residents also say access to the resort's lagoons has been a major point of contention.

"In 1996, several environmental groups occupied a closed lagoon beach, saying the developer was illegally keeping the public away. The lagoon was subsequently opened, but Ko Olina's rules for public use of the four lagoons at this resort area have drawn protests.

Those rules prohibit normal-size beach umbrellas, distracting music or noise, tents, tables, sunshades, windbreaks, playing ball, open fires and smoking on the beach. If the parking lots are full, residents are turned away at the resort's security gate entrance. The company's position is that the lagoons, which all have public bathhouses with showers, are privately owned and maintained and the owner is responsible for public safety."

…honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…ln06a.html

Hadn't heard about the "flying" umbrella that supposedly injured a girl.

I'm guessing that those items were banned from day 1.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,616 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

Well, you can stay elsewhere! The beauty of Oahu is the many, many choices of accommodations.

BTW: The U.S. Virgin Island of St. Croix does not allow beach umbrellas on any beach. That is a measure to protect the many sea turtle nests which visitors may not know exist until one of those Tommy Bahama umbrellas is jammed into an egg. Not very pleasant.

Knowledge is power. If you disagree with a policy, you can choose to stay at another hotel or a different island entirely.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,182 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

I had no idea there were "rules" at the Ko Olina lagoon's. I've probably broken quite a few of them. No wonder I don't like going out there much.

I guarantee you there are no turtle nests at the man made Ko Olina lagoons.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

Aloha.

I would be very careful with the sun over there

Got to be one of the hottest places on the Island and not much cloud cover.

Maybe another place

Good luck,

Aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

"Well, you can stay elsewhere! The beauty of Oahu is the many, many choices of accommodations."

I agree with that for anyone who knows the policy in advance. But very few do.

I was not aware that no umbrellas were allowed there & I lived on the island for years.

My daughter & husband tried to use a sportbrella at Ko 'Olina lagoons, kind of half umbrella & half tent. Acts as a shade & a windbreak. Looks like a wrap-around umbrella that is on the ground on 1/2 of it.

They had barely set it up & were "busted" and told they could not set it up.

They and I thought it was because it was considered a tent.

I did not know until today that no private umbrellas are not allowed. Tents are not allowed on many Hawaii beaches.

How is a visitor supposed to know this in advance if Hawaii residents don't even know?

If I had young kids and was a visitor, I would consider Aualani or even the beach villas.

But I would think that I could put up some kind of shade for the kids there (without paying $$$ for the only ones allowed) or anywhere else on the island.

I bought the sportbrella because I had seen one at Turtle Bay Resort. I rarely used it so gave it to my daughter & family.

My personal opinion is that the property owners simply want to keep the number of Hawaii residents using the beach to a minimum.

I can see the rules for frisbees, loud radios, etc.

But no shade for young kids or even adults for guests or Hawaii residents?

Can't agree with that at all.

I can see no tents as some are huge.

And I suppose some umbrellas, windbreaks, etc can be huge.

Can't they just limit the size?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,628 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

I have never stayed there, but have visited the lagoons 2-3 times. Although they might not allow umbrellas, I saw people using those beach loungers with the pull over canopies. It's probably not exactly what you are looking for but at least it does provide shade. Assuming you are a registered guest staying there.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,896 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

Aloha,

Looks like they are not good neighbors.

Oh, the horror of seeing Hawaiians with their beautiful brown skinned keiki on OUR beach.

Aloha

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

If shade is important to you while sitting on the beach then you can move one lagoon down, in front of the beach villas, where there are permanent umbrellas, basically tiki like structures that you can use.

I find the beach at Ko Olina extremely hot so when we decide to use the lagoons we park ourselves up under the numerous trees that surround the lagoons. When we want sun we just move out from under the trees and onto the sand or water.

Personally, I don't mind the umbrella ban. Nothing worse than sitting on the beach enjoying the view when someone comes on, sets up in front of you with an umbrella to block your view. On other Hawaiian (and mainland and Caribbean) beaches I have seen the umbrellas uproot and go flying hitting other sunbathers.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

All beaches in Hawaii are PUBLIC, not owned by any resort. How they get away with this I do not know. I think they just bully people with their security guards.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No umbrellas allowed on Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club lagoon?

I believe these were man-made beaches, not pre-existing "nature-made" beaches. Therefore, they are actually private property beaches, BUT with public access. So even though public access is required, it doesn't mean they aren't private beaches and therefore subject to whatever rules owner deems prudent.

I think the truth is Marriott is just to cheap to install good quality umbrellas along the beach, unlike Disney Aulani that DID install or make available umbrellas on their lagoon beach. Aulani has umbrellas for use on the beach because the resort provides them and they are heavy-duty not the consumer fly-away type. We will not be returning to this Marriott for a vacation until we are sure they have decided to provide umbrella shade on the beach chairs for those guests who want it.

Edited: 8:16 pm, January 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
Aulani, a Disney Resort...
5,671 Reviews
Oahu, HI