We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

In the summer we will be staying for 4 nights at the Marriott (using up those points!). What do you think of the hotel/location. We don't plan on living on the beach -- we want to explore, eat and enjoy. We would love your recommendations!!

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

You MUST have fun! :-)

Couldn't resist.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

The location of this property is where you should go when you want to spend your whole time at the resort. Plan to rent a car and do a lot of driving. What are your interests? What brought you to the island in the first place? Who is we?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

Wouldn't you want to be in Waikiki instead of out there -- if you've never been on Oahu before?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,439 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

Go to the Oahu forum. Read the Top questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii & Oahu:

1-800-GOHAWAII

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

I also think you should change to a Waikiki hotel if you can.

So ditto to what msfuzz said.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

I can tell you that you MUST rent a car. You are out there and you will be doing some driving to see anything.

Beyond that, it depends on what you like to do.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,584 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

Rent a car...it's a great location for exploring the North Shore. Put Waimea Park on the list.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

I don't want to spend my whole time at a resort. Ugh. We is me and my wife

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

Well, you will be isolated. Restaurants at the Marriotts, Aulani, and a couple others. That's it. Shopping ... none, really. Some activities on the beach ... that's it.

Kapolei (traffic pit that it is) is relatively close for some other dining and giant discount stores.

So, yes, you will need a car. I would have used those points on Waikiki! The drive from Ko'Olina to Waikiki is about an hour - depending on traffic is could be a little shorter or much longer.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

You're in a great position to see most of Oahu without the massive traffic jam that surrounds Waikiki. As for must dos it really depends on what you like. You can easily get to Pearl Harbor which lies between Ko Olina and Waikiki. The North Shore is a short drive away as well. Paradise Cove Luau is within Ko Olina and the Marriott has it's own Fia Fia show one night per week. Tell us what you like to do and we can give even more suggestions.

If you main goal is to see Waikiki then I would suggest staying there. If your goal is to see Oahu then you've picked a good spot. As mentioned, a rental car is a must.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club - 4 nites - what MUST i do?

If you don't want to spend your time at a resort nor the beach then frankly, you are staying at the wrong Marriot! You should switch to the Marriot in Waikiki. In Waikiki you'll be surrounded by many options for dining and fun.