We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriot Ko Olina

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Marriot Ko Olina

We will be staying in one of the efficiency's in May.

Can anyone give me some details on the place? I haven't stayed in a timeshare before. We were given a week by a friend.

Thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

We stayed in a studio there a few years ago. They are like very large hotel rooms with microwave and mini-fridge. Nicely appointed but the lanais are small. We liked the location a lot...away from Honolulu but a quick drive in, and good for exploring the North Shore. The lagoons are lovely and the grounds are nice. Bet you'll have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

The efficiencies will have a king size bed and a pull out sofa bed. The kitchen has microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, plates and equipment for 4. You are welcome to use the grills outside to cook. You will not have daily maid service, only a weekly tidy unless you want to pay extra. They will offer and explain the charges when you sign in. Down the hall near the elevators in each buidling there will be washer dryers if you want to wash your towels or anything else. Pool towels are exchanged as often as you wish. There are three buildings, depending on the view you are eligible will partally dictate which building you will be in.

The rooms and lanai are not large but then, how much time will you spend in the room in Hawaii? The site has three pools and a multiple lagoons. There are two restaurants on the timeshare property with more down at the JW Marriott. Supplies, including food can be bought in Kapolei, a few miles back toward Honolulu. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask on the forum or PM me. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kapolei
Kapolei
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

Thanks for the info. We won't be in our room much anyway but was curious.

I have another question. In reading the forum it seems like the lagoons are for the public too. Do you get any special perks for being a guest or just first come first serve spots?

Also, what are some good places to snorkel on Oahu?

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

All beaches in Hawaii are open to the public. The lagoons at Ko Olina are not crowded. Lagoon 3 (in front of the Marriott) rarely has anyone other than guests using it. The weekends, especially holidays will see more people. However, even on the busiest weekends it is never crowded.The pool area is only for guests. There are always available lounge chairs at the lagoon.

I have snorkeled 3 of the 4 lagoons (2,3,4) and they sometimes have great snorkeling, other times just a few fish. Lagoon 2 often has gaint sea turtles (the one with three legs is known as Stumpy and is regular).

Outside of Ko Olina there are a lot of great snorkeling spots. Shark's Cove and Hanuma Bay are well know spots. Do a search on the snorkeling on the Oahu forum and you'll find lots of ideas.

Another great thing is snuba (combo snorkel and scuba). At the Marriott they have a tour done by someone we call Snuba Bob (conceirge will help you). He does a great job at Paradise Cove where you get to snorkel with turtles and its appropriate for just about all ages. Check that out if you get a chance, it was great!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Paradise Cove Beach
Paradise Cove Beach
319 Reviews
Oahu, HI
AZ
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

We absolutely loved the Marriott Ko Olina! Great grounds, nice rooms, wonderful staff. When we were there, I guess the fish were on vacation because we didn't see any while snorkeling. There is a walking trail along the ocean to the Marriott Ihilani and we went there for the breakfast buffet, which was much better than the Ko Olina's. Also, Kapolei is just minutes away for whatever you might need. What nice friends you have! You will have a great time!

Edited: 2:37 am, March 15, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Kapolei
Kapolei
Oahu, HI
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

I will be staying in an efficiency studio as well..

Is there a stovetop or just a microwave?

Do the units include things such as dish soap, shampoo, bar soap etc?

For the washer/dryer down the hall, is it free or coin-operated?

What are the closest big chain grocery stores?

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

We just got back on Saturday and LOVED IT!!!

The studio is nice. No stovetop just microwave and small refrigerator.

They do have grills by all of the building so you could use those. The room has a bottle of dish soap, small box of laundry soap, and has bathroom soap, shampoo, etc.

We checked in on Saturday and they did their "tidy service" on Wednesday.

A Costco and Safeway are fairly close by - a couple exits up (can't remember the name of exit) and also a Target.

We went to Costco for snacks/water/wine and ate out the rest of time. The restaurants in hotel are o.k. but pricey. We LOVED Zippy's restaurant (near the Safeway) someone had told me about it on here and reminded me of a diner but had great inexpensive food.

We were in the 3rd tower - 10th floor - oceanview and it was PERFECT. I can't wait to go back!!

Mentioned in this post
Costco
Costco
90 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

Glad to hear you enjoyed the resort! I'm going in November...are there any big turtles at the beach/lagoon?

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

We didn't see any turtles in the lagoons. Some people have said they have we did snorkel and saw some fish.

The huge turtles are on the North Shore.

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriot Ko Olina

There are turtles at Ko Olina. The second lagoon, not the one in front of Ko Olina but the one to the right in front of the Beach Villas has turtles. The one without his one hind leg is affectionally known as stumpy. If you don't see turtles there, then go down to the Paradise Cove area where the public access is. There are many, very tame turtles in there but the largest one I saw was probably only 100 lbs or so. North shore does have awesome turtles but in November it might be too rough to snorkel.

Mentioned in this post
Ko Olina
Ko Olina
Oahu, HI
Paradise Cove Beach
Paradise Cove Beach
319 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI