We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

Which Kapolei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltiimore
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

Does anyone have a link to aerial view photos showing the construction of the resort and its proximity to the JW Marriott. We are booked there over the Christmas holidays this year and I wanted to see how far along the contruction is and possibly change to a different hotel.

I checked on Google Maps and Mapquest and don't see any construction whatsoever. I guess these are old satellite photos. What I see are 4 lagoons and two large complexes--one being the JW, then three large empty lots and then the next building. I assume the Disney resort is going into one of these lots.

Thanks.

NorCal
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

I am in the same situation with an April booking. A family member stayed at the Marriott in May and did not like the cranes, etc. The pics below are from a Disney chat room. I am 50-50 on canceling but leaning towards keeping the trip.

disneygeek.com/boards/viewtopic.php…

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

My sources tell me that it's not very intrusive as yet. Of course, that can change quickly. I'll be staying there in early February and will post what I see. Another option is to move from the JW to the Marriot Ko Olina Beach Resort which is at the other end of the 4 lagoons. It is very quiet over there right now as the only work being done is inside on the newest tower. Staying there also allows you access to the services at the JW. However, it is a timeshare resort so things like room service are not available.

If your concerned about room noise, I would suggest you ask the JW desk to put you in the JW tower farthest away from the construction. Good luck whatever you decide.

Washington DC...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

As of our September visit there were 4 large cranes and they were working on the 3rd floor of the buildings. We could not see the construction site from the ocean view side of the hotel.

NorCal
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

I called the hotel and confirmed that we do have an ocean view room so I assume that the construction won't be an issue. Thanks all for the replies.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

My wife and I returned from Ko Olina yesterday. Our one bedroom "villa" on the 10th floor overlooked the pool complex below. However, we could see the construction going on at the Disney site nearby. We were not annoyed in any manner by construction noises, etc. The only noise we occasionally heard was the lawnmowers and leafblowers being used at the Ko Olina by its own landscaping staff. Please do not cancel your reservation. We so enjoyed our stay we would have done just about anything to have stayed another week. We thought this was the most amazing resort we had ever experienced and our only regret was that we had not booked two weeks in the first place. Everything was perfect or close to perfect. Our only complaint was the high cost of parking - $26/nightly which was impossible to avoid. Please e-mail me if you have any further questions: maltasr@aol.com.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
216 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

Thank you so much for your update. We are looking forward to our first visit to Ko Olina in February. Do you have any favorite restuarants to suggest?

Were you able to have an ocean view room? Again, thanks for your update.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

We had a good ocean view room. I think 80% of the rooms would have some ocean view. Perhaps if you were below the 4th floor it would be difficult. The original room we were assigned had a good ocean view, but it also had a view of a petroleum refinery which was not our idea of a great view. They very nicely moved us across the hall to Room 1011 in the main building and we had a good ocean view as well as a view of two of the pools. The people working the front desk really want to please you, so if you are not happy with your accommodations, keep going back to the front desk and ask to see another room until you are satisfied.

Restaurant-wise we liked Chuck's Steakhouse on the ground level of the main building which had a soup and salad special after 8:00 PM for $11.95. Their steaks were all in the $20 range. The best choice for dinner was Roy's Asian Fusion which was housed in the Golf Club - quite expensive but worth a splurge. We had a $75 coupon for attending a timeshare presentation and it covered most of the tab, although we are not drinkers. Shortly after arriving we made a trip to the nearby Costco and stocked up on provisions for our breakfasts and occasional lunches in. The burger place on the premises has great lunch choices at fairly reasonable prices. It is also open for breakfast and dinner.

Returning to timeshare presentation, this was the most low-key, non-threatening presentation we had ever attended. They were extremely gracious when we declined their offer. We "earned" a $75 coupon to Roy's and 10,000 Marriott points but there were many offers/combinations to choose from all the way up to 20,000 Marriott points.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

Maltasr,

I assume you were staying in the Marriott Ko Olina Resort rather than the JW Marriott which is next the Disney location. I would be surprised if that location was impacted by the Disney work. Did you go down to the JW and check it out from there?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

Yes, we did go down to the hotel for a look. It was mid-afternoon. Did not notice any unusual or disturbing noises. The resort is amazingly tranquil and certainly should be a guest pleaser. I did learn that it originally opened as a Hotel Nikko (Japanese). It was failing badly and was sold to Marriott in a "fire" sale. They apparently pumped loads of money into it because it is absolutely gorgeous now.

10. Re: Disney Resort Construction Update by JW Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 12, 2010