We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Trip To Hawaii in July

uofafamily
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Possible Trip To Hawaii in July

My husband, 11 year old daughter, and myself are thinking about our first trip to Hawaii. We have deposited points from our Disney Vacation Club with Interval International. Unfortunately due to school schedules we only have the month of July to travel.

The resorts listed as options on Ohau are Hawaiian Princess at Makaha Beach and Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club --Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii. We are thinking of Ohau because of the BYU Polynesian Center, the USS Arizona, and many tourist attractions. While we love the beach, we don't want to spend 7 days exclusively playing on the beach.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this trip or these resorts? We would also welcome ideas on how to get a reasonable rate on airfare from Houston.

Thanks

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Trip To Hawaii in July

You are much better off at Marriott's Ko 'Olina Beach Club. Nice area & not too far from other Oahu attractions.

Makaha is another 25 minutes or so past Ko 'Olina. Lots of crime around there. Also only one way into the area so if there are any traffic accidents, you are stuck for hours.

Lots of Oahu info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Trip To Hawaii in July

We just got back from a 10 day spring break trip to Oahu and Maui with our two girls ages 10 and 7.

We stayed 5 nights at Koolina. The rooms are beautiful and new, the two pools are great for kids. Make sure to get a "master" suite, 1 or 2 br unit with a kitchen/washer& dryer, it's very spacious. Grainite countertops, tumbled stone in the bathrooms, nicely furnished. The lock off hotel rooms are small in comparison, but still nicely furnished. There were lots of families enjoying all the amenities of the resort. It is actually much better than the JW Marriott Ilihani up the road. Go there for the morning fish feeding to get your souvenier laminated fish card. Be warned that there is major construction going on however. 5 giant cranes on both sides of the property and the constant "beep, beep, beep" of the heavy construction vehicles. The area will be under construction until at least 2011. If you schedule your stay over the weekend, there is not much construction activity those two days, which is when you will want to use the lagoons, otherwise it was just too noisy for me until 5:00 pm when the construction stops. The noise is mostly blocked out in the pool area by the buildings, lots of kids and music. We had an "island view" on the 2nd floor, which wasn't horrible, but you could see cars going by. All our requests for upper level ocean view were impossible because they were fully booked. My in-laws had a lock off unit situated right over the parking garage with a view of the industrial area, think power plants, not Hawaii.

Anyway if you can get past the construction and possibly poor views, the rooms and resort itself is very nice. Koolina is about a half hour from the airport and honolulu. Makaha is further up the road and not in the best area.

We went to the Polynesian cultural center on the North Shore, about an hour and 15 minutes of straight drive time, which is an all day event, plan on leaving after breakfast to get there when they open. Stop in at the Dole plantation to check out the pineapples growing and get a Pineapple whip ice cream treat. Get an entertainment book for Hawaii and save $40 at the PCC and 2 for 1 pineapple whip at Dole. The kids loved all the shows and crafts at the different villages, it was not crowded. The evening show was truly excellent, something you will never forget. You will certainly get your fill of polynesian dancing, and no other luau shows will compare. The kids get a passport to stamp at the villages they visit. Take the passport to the McDonalds adjacent to the parking lot for a free happy meal. We did this just before the evening show instead of Luaus which are quite expensive, and not too good we heard.

We also did the Arizona Memorial which I was surprised that the girls enjoyed and they were very interested in the history. We stopped in after 10:00 and got tickets for 1:30 I thought they might have been sold out by then, but it wasn't a problem, we would have actually wanted later tickets, but they give them out in order. If your daughter is at all interested in Science, I would recommend the Bishop's museum, also in the entertainment book. We went there after picking up tickets for the Arizona memorial. It's about 20 minutes away. The planetarium show and the "Science on a Sphere" show were very good at the museum, we would have liked to have stayed longer, but had to get back to the Arizona.

We went to Hanauma Bay on the East shore for snorkeling with turtles. The water is clear, but not much Coral. They charge for parking, admission and use of the shuttle down and up. We actually went late in the day around 4:30 and didn't have to pay, but they boot everyone out of the water at 5:30 and close the parking lot at 6:00.

There is also a train ride from Ewa beach that goes through the Koolina resort on Sunday. It's also in the entertainment book.

Use Kayak.com or Orbitz to check for the best airfare, then go directly to the carrier's website. Sometimes Aloha air and Hawaiian air run specials from the west coast: Orange county, San Diego.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Trip To Hawaii in July

Continental has two great non-stop flights to Honolulu for as low as $708 round trip in July depending on your dates. You can arrive a bit after noon and be enjoying the beaches the same day.

Otherwise I saw some connecting flights for as low as $550 on Continental and $605 on US Air. which will add a couple of hours for the layovers in each direction.

Good luck.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Trip To Hawaii in July

"We stopped in after 10:00 and got tickets for 1:30"

Great suggestion for beating the crowd! The only issue is the afternoon heat. That's part of why you are there in Hawaii anyway though :^)

I would suggest that you go to the swap meet that is right around the corner to burn off this time gap. Hundreds of touristy shops to buy things for friends and family back home. We get 40 shell necklaces for about $6 and let the kids hand them out at school back home.

5. Re: Possible Trip To Hawaii in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 29, 2009