We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best months in Kailua

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
10 posts
Save Topic
Best months in Kailua

Hello..Ime hoping to visit Kailua next year and i need some advice on the best time of year to come over. Coming from the Uk is very expensive for air fair so ime thinking Sep-Oct or Nov as the flights are cheaper then, so can anyone advise what the weather is like in those months and also how calm the sea will be at kailua beach. Thankyou...

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Best months in Kailua

All right! Kailua is wonderful -- one of my favorite places in Hawaii. I'm sure you'll love it too. Wishing you sunny weather, gentle surf, no rain and no jellyfish stings!

Look for sea turtles when you go to the beach. I've swum right near them there. They are really lovely, gentle creatures.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best months in Kailua

Ok will do and thanks again....

Hawaii
Level Contributor
711 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best months in Kailua

Mandyloo,

The reason why ask is because most people are comfortable staying in a hotel over their first visit, or first SEVERAL visits, to Hawaii.

They drive around the island and see local communities and visit shops, parks, and neighborhoods at their own convenience.

After several return visits, they become intimately familiar with the disparity between corporate (hotel) lodgings, like in Waikiki, and the residential lodgings that B&B’s offer.

If you’ve stayed at B&B’s elsewhere in your travels, then you might already have some idea of what to expect. But, since you are traveling all the way from the UK (presumably on your first visit, and obviously on a budget) I suspect that your lodging arrangements might be subject to limitations which you may not be prepared for.

Vacation rental lodgings like B&B’s are nice, but they are not for everyone. The service varies slightly from place-to-place, and for some people, sometimes a hotel is better.

Please take this into consideration if you have not done so, already.

I’m not trying to discourage you. I’m just trying to give you info on what to expect so you won’t end up disappointed.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,023 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best months in Kailua

I agree with FurnitureMan. If you do this as you plan you arrive somewhere with no prior knowledge of the place and no support system to help you out ... Hawaii is bigger and more confusing than you might imagine, especially Oahu.

I live in Hawaii and I still got kind of frustrated in Oahu. The guide books focus on an attraction as if that's all there is. You arrive and there are so many buildings and cars and it's not like the picture; you find yourself in a large suburb that is not so intimate.

I do applaud the desire to bypass Waikiki.

Personally if I were just coming to Hawaii for the first time and just wanted to hit a nice beach, I would go to a Maui resort or condo complex. Why because in Oahu 99% of hotels and resorts are in crowded Waikiki, which is a big city with gnarly traffic, whereas Maui has accommodations spread all around the nice areas. Maui is easy to figure out and has a variety of nature to see, and many places to stay where you're right on the beach, not walking to the beach.

Just a thought, for a first time visitor.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best months in Kailua

Hi Furniture man and Kamaainak..... Thankyou so much for your advice i very much appreciate it. The reason i have decided to come to kailua is for its beauty and peace and quite, and in a hotel i proberbly wont get much of the latter, as for being in a big place for the first time thats ok i have done this a few times before in Tokio and Australia where i lived both for 6 months from ,B+Bs to huts on the beach i have been lucky enough to enjoy some great travel, but unfortunatly this will be my last holiday ever {for personal reasons }and what better place to end the road. So again thankyou for some great advice. Best wishes Mandyloo00

Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best months in Kailua

Hi Mandyloo,

I and my family just returned from Oahu, and spent one glorious week in Kailua. We all loved it. Everything is very accessible, the people are wonderfully friendly (we noticed a difference in Waikiki, for sure), and accomodations are fantastic. For what we paid for one average night in a high end beach front hotel in Waikiki, we were all able to enjoy peace, space and every ammenity we could think of in a beautiful home close to the beach and town centre. The weather was fine. A bit muggy in the morning but lovely by 10 am most days. I understand that they are having quite unusual weather there lately, but you really can't plan for that. Go to Kailua, you'll love it and want to return.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Best months in Kailua

Hey G T Knowitall.. Thanks for that, and now i really cant wait to visit...mandyloo00

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,023 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best months in Kailua

mandyloo!

ah, well it sounds like you'll be fine finding your away around then!

I wish you an awesome vacation.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Best months in Kailua

Thankyou Kamaainak....

Bellingham, WA
6 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Best months in Kailua

Just got back from a lovely stay in Kailua with our family. Staying in a beautiful and well equipped home, just steps to the beach. We loved drinking our coffee down at the beach and letting the kids sleep in and then they would wake up and have their cereal/eggs at the house. It sure beats having to get dressed each morning to go out to eat breakfast in a Waikiki or hotel restaurant, let alone all the time we saved from having to eat out for all 3 meals a day. Kailua's location and non-hotel set up can't be beat.

One night we took the kids to Waikiki (which really is a must). It is 25 minutes away from Kailua. We parked at the zoo (per our hostess's recommendation) and had a wonderful evening walking around and having cold stone icecream. At the end of the night, we were all ready to get back to Kailua and wake up to watch the sun rise over Kailua Bay.