We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish in Kailua

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish in Kailua

I've seen one or two there, the tiny blue ones.

What about this schedule? Does it affect Kailua? How accurate is this for you? Is this even an issue or just a be careful in the ocean thing?

honolulu.gov/esd/…boxjellymainpage.htm

TIA

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

BoeingDad,

Box Jellyfish in Hawaii are not as toxic as those found in Australia, but can be deadly if one is allergic and goes into anaphylactic shock.

The small blue ones you have seen were likely Portuguese Man O’ War which I can tell you from personal experience stings like, well, very much (since the expletive I would use isn’t allowed on TA).

The jellyfish are small, clear and harder to see. Usually they are close enough by the time you see them to sting if you are in the water.

As to when and where: jelly fish on the leeward and south shores 8-10 days following a full moon.

Portuguese Man O’ War: mostly on the windward sides of the islands, rarely on lee ward sides, only if the Kona winds blow.

In Kailua I would be more worried about PMOW than jellyfish.

Good luck and happy travels!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

I've seen the Man o' Wars at Kualoa Beach, too. I don't think they're on a schedule, but as long as you keep an eye on the water like you should be they're not hard to spot. Once we saw more than one we just got out of the water.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

Thanks everyone. This is our first summer visit, so I'm trying to work with the new tides and waves. Looks like great boogie board times ahead.

My daughter was stung at Waimanalo after a PMOW got caught under her tshirt. Huge blisters appeared for several feet up and down. The thing was about the size of a dime. We had our sting kit ready, but it really doesn't help that much. I'm convinced that it was better than nothing. We've worn tight fitting rash guards ever since.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

Ouch, I feel for her under the shirt? That would HURT

southern cal
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

Last summer my daughter got stung by a Man O War and we were staying on the windward side. It seemed very painful. She just jumped right away into the shower and stayed for a long time. The pain went away relatively quickly but the rash lasted for about a day. We had read in Oahu Revealed about the full moon and timing. It looks like from reading these postings that there is no specific time frame to avoid like the box jellyfish?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

Correct. Strong trades will tend to push them closer to shore, as PMOW aren’t attached to sea weed or similar like some of the jellyfish do. Please, please do not tell me the “revealed” book is saying the PMOW correspond with the moon cycle, and that he was really talking about just the jelly fish?

Good luck and happy travels!

southern cal
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

No, he wasn't talking about the PMOW, he was talking about the box jellies. Sorry if I wasn't clear...

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

My brother and I both got entangled in lots and lots of jellyfish when we were younger - This was on Ulua Beach on Maui. My welts went away on their own, but my brother was hospitalized. They never did figure out what kind we were stung by, but the tentacles pulled off of us were an average of 3ft long. The doctors told us there isnt a relaible way to predict when they will be in the water, but to take meat tenderizer and vinegar to the beach with us. It is supposed to help wash the tentacles off and cool some of the stinging and swelling.

I am ok, and my brother too, but ever since then he hasn't really gone into the ocean. Poor thing - he looked like he had been whipped from head to toe with all the welts he had.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps someone else.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

I should have mentioned what was in the sting kit. Thanks for sharing. We use regular meat tenderizer and also vinegar in a spray bottle.

Spray the vinegar first, then tenderizer. The vinegar helps to neutralize the sting chemicals, and the tenderizer helps to dissolve the thousands of hair like stingers. Still stings and is not fun in the heat afterwards.

Suprised about no stinging limu stories?

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish in Kailua

I am concerned about both the jellyfish and the Man of wars. Last year I was in Hawaii during the full moon, so I didn't have to worry about the jellyfish, but this year, I will be there during the 8-10 days after a full moon. I hope I can find places to snorkel and get in the water without having to worry about being stung. I have been thinking about signing up for a kayak tour on Kailua beach and would like to know if the jellyfish show up there after the full moon also.