We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying and swimming in the Lanikai/Kailua area w/a toddler?

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Staying and swimming in the Lanikai/Kailua area w/a toddler?

My family is hoping to visit Oahu in either September or October, and this will be my 2-year-old son's first real beach experience. I have memories of 15+ years ago of the water at Lanikai being very calm, but I can't really recall, and don't remember if it deepens very quickly. Also, I am concerned about the box jellyfish and man of war encounters...to sum it up, would this area be a wise or unwise choice for a holiday where I hope to let my son play in the beach daily?

I know the man-made lagoons at Ko Olina would be "safer", but I find the idea of Kailua and Lanikai more appealing. Is there anyplace else i should consider? Thanks for your time.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying and swimming in the Lanikai/Kailua area w/a toddler?

Lanikai Beach is very calm and there is no steep drop off. The box jellyfish are a problem on the Honolulu side not in Lanikaii. Portuguese man-of-war are a different story, they are seen on the Windward side.

Kailua and Lanikai are great places for young children and toddlers. Have a great time!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying and swimming in the Lanikai/Kailua area w/a toddler?

Lanikai and Kailua are wonderful places to take the little ones. As KailuaBred has said, no problem with the box jellies on this side of the island. The man o war are there but generally speaking only when the trade winds are strong, which happens mainly in the summer months. It's easy to check for the man o war. Just walk the beach at the water line and start looking for them to wash up on the beach. If you see more than a couple it would be wise to stay out of the water.

kailua, hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying and swimming in the Lanikai/Kailua area w/a toddler?

Your memory of Lanikai beach is correct, very small "waves", safe for a toddler. Same goes for Kailua Beach, pretty calm by the boat ramp and next to Kaelepulu Stream. Winds are unpredictable, but bearable. No box jellyfish on this side of the island, and they appear generally 9 days after a full moon. Just have to be on the look-out for Portuguese man-of-war, some say they appear on especially windy days, but I've seen them in all conditions. Also, Ala Moana Beach Park is great for little ones.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
167 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying and swimming in the Lanikai/Kailua area w/a toddler?

both beaches are awesome for kids. We've be going to one or the other for the past 3 years with our son who was just 1 year the first time. This Thanksgiving we are going with our son, who is now 4 and his little brother who will be turning one while we are there. We've never had jellyfish issues.

5. Re: Staying and swimming in the Lanikai/Kailua area w/a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 10, 2014