We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Part of Oahu?

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which Part of Oahu?

We are mid 50's planning on a trip to Oahu in early May 2013. We have stayed right in Waikiki and would like suggestions as to where else to stay away from busy, touristy Waikiki area.

Thinking of a vacation rental close to a beach where we can walk to beach, shopping and restaurants. We will rent a car but also like to walk. We also like to hike, kayak and relax.

Does anyone here have any suggestion in terms of area and vacation rentals? I have been reading on here about Kailua for the beaches but I don't see many vacation rentals for two.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which Part of Oahu?

PM'd you.

Love Frisco, CO! Used to ski at Copper quite a bit. PM me if you want more info.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,477 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Which Part of Oahu?

I would love to know of any 'finds' for winter stays on Oahu that are not Waikiki! Three years ago I hunted unsuccessfully for something similar to what we have on Maui: Newer, lowrise, w/2 baths, ocean view.

I found (probably illegal) hole-in-the-wall rentals in residential neighborhoods with no view. I found old cottages near or on nice beaches -- but sure to have a 'passing parade' since all beaches are public.

I couldn't find anywhere I'd want to 'live' for a month or two that wasn't an expensive house. (I was looking to spend around $5K/mo.)

Are the only newer condos isolated on the west shore?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which Part of Oahu?

There are really no condos in Kailua or Lanikai that have ocean views, as it is a residential area with houses. There is one group of town homes across from Mid-Pac golf course that may have a few units that have ocean views, but I have never seen any of them for rent.

Most of the smaller stand alone cottages for 2-3 people are not actually on the beach, but many are only a 1-3 minute walk. I have stayed in a number of them...none of them being a "hole in the wall".

If you have to be literally on the beach, most of them are houses that are quite expensive and are geared towards larger groups.

It really all depends on what you're looking for and what your priorities are. If you are accustomed to a modern condo on the beach in Kaanapali, with an ocean view from the 4th floor, then Kailua/Lanikai may not be for you. I love the relaxed low key vibe that Kailua exudes. Although there are a number of tourists who are renting places in the area, it never feels that way. For me, having grown up an lived there for years, there is nothing better or more relaxing.

Oh, and I should add, I am very unfamiliar with what's new on the west shore, as I rarely go out there.

Edited: 12:03 pm, June 19, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
451 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which Part of Oahu?

We stayed in Kailua last year and LOVED it. The place we rented was the Suite Spot and I can't say enough good things about our stay. You can read reviews here...

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g60652-…

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Which Part of Oahu?

Hi Vancouver: We will be staying at the same condo on the North Shore that we stayed at this past April...It is 27 steps from the beach! Great for long morning walks and sunrises. Great for snorkelling and kayaking. There aren't any restaurants that are within a walkable distance but there is a mom and pop store, a shrimp truck and a Subway very close that we used frequently. My husband isnt' a shopper so I would hop in the car and drive 25 mins south and shop my heart out. Please feel free to check out my reviews and pm me with any questions.

Aloha!

16. Re: Which Part of Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 11, 2013