We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Kailua
Search

Kailua weather in November?

Palo Alto
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
Kailua weather in November?
Save

I wanted to ask what to expect from Kailua (Oahu) weather in November. I looked at this site (www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx#oahu.) and it looks like it might be kind of rainy in November. Would you recommend Kailua in November? We usually go to the Big Island (Kohala) for Thanksgiving but wanted to try something new.

Julie

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
31,593 posts
1. Re: Kailua weather in November?
Save

Aloha,

I would have to say that the weather in Kailua was wonderful in November compared to March.

Aloha

Edited: 11:39 pm, March 12, 2012
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
65 helpful votes
2. Re: Kailua weather in November?
Save

Winter on the Windward side is always going to be a riskier bet than Honolulu; however, more often than not, it's pleasant, mild and sunny to partly sunny. I was there this past winter in Feb for 9 days and we had one day of rain. The windward side is green and lush for a reason, but I wouldn't let the rain scare you away. If there is rain in Kailua, you usually just drive over the Pali to town and there's plenty of sun.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
108 reviews
117 helpful votes
3. Re: Kailua weather in November?
Save

if your coming during Thanksgiving again expect rains, grey skies and rougher seas. still a beauty of a town with an excellent beach that will be very different from Waikaloa. if the weathers nice its good to wake up early and catch the sunrise on the beach.

Edited: 1:14 am, March 13, 2012
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Kailua weather in November?
Save

"Rough" seas is a bit of an exaggeration. There is a reef outside of Kailua Bay that keeps the waves down. It's never really rough in the Kailua/Lanikai area.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
108 reviews
117 helpful votes
5. Re: Kailua weather in November?
Save

Hi,

rough seas may be a stretch but could be prevelant in faster sets rolling in and being more choppy. what I was really driving at was activites like kayaking and boating. this is my home town as well and have lived directly on the beach (yellow house's was the beach name).

did many launches from the boat ramp and can say that there has been some rough seas just inside the islands so yes it happens and more in the winter months.

I would never take anything away from Kailua and even watching storms roll in is nice. lived in Lanikai as well and never seen there rough as its reef extends to the Mokulua islands from just offshore and has little clearence from the surface. the reef in Kailua is much different and has multiple terrains and has deeper waters passing Flat Island on the inside and heading towards the marine base that enables the water to get ruff.

a great walking beach anytime of the day. if younger kids are coming, they would like nights on the beach with flashlights chasing down the sand crabs.

Edited: 3:59 pm, March 13, 2012
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
6. Re: Kailua weather in November?
Save

It can be pretty much anything and no one here can predict that it will be sunny, calm, rainy, windy,or otherwise more than a few days in advance.

That said, November is the start of the rainy season here which simply means that it is more likely to rain during that time than in the official non-rainy season. Kailua is on the windward, rainier side of the island to begin with. As KailuaBred said, you might be able to go over the Pali and find sunshine even if it's raining in Kailua. But not always, especially during the rainy season.

If a storm system moves in it can cover the whole island chain and it can certainly rain island-wide.

It can get rough enough in Kailua Bay to make it unpleasant for kayakers, as QFOX said. Windy enough to make it unpleasant for beach-goers. Heavy rains also cause brown water conditions (read: pollution).

We're into our thirteenth year living full-time in Kailua, if that makes any difference. I realize there are lots of folks who come here and report that they were here for a limited amount of time (or lived here decades ago) and offer advice based on anecdotal experiences but the fact is that nobody can offer anything but generalities this far ahead of time.

Not even those who actually live here. ;-)

Edited: 5:16 pm, March 13, 2012
Palo Alto
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Kailua weather in November?
Save

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies. We are excited to visit Kailua and will probably brave the weather to enjoy the area. That said, it is good to go with the right expectations.

We look forward to our trip!

8. Re: Kailua weather in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 18, 2013