We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse Riding on kailua beach

ENGLAND, Devon
Level Contributor
27 posts
Horse Riding on kailua beach

Hi guys,everyone has been so helpfull before with info about kailua, i was wondering if anyone knows if horse riding is allowed on the beach,if yes where do i go to hire the horses.Thanks

Oahu
Level Contributor
98 posts
1. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

This article about available horseback rides should be helpful:

…honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…sp20a.html

Kahuku Kai Stables will do custom rides for you. They are known for their beach rides. Having met the owner, and that is the one I recommend.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
59 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

I'm about 99% sure that you're not allowed to ride on HI beaches.

I'm not sure if anyone offers English saddles. You may have to ride Western. (Horrors!) <G> I strongly suspect that any stable on the Big Island would be all Western. Think Paniolos.

You will be allowed to ride without official riding boots, though. Athletic shoes or light hiking boots will do. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using either of those in irons rather than a Western stirrup. I suppose you could bring jodhpur boots if you really wanted.

ENGLAND, Devon
Level Contributor
27 posts
3. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

Thankyou both for the info,and can you give me heads up on the western saddle, ie how does it differ to english saddles.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
59 reviews
23 helpful votes
4. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

Here's a good picture:

equusite.com/articles/basics/basicsWesternSa…

You may also be using split reins as opposed to what you'd find on an English bridle. Your horse may or may not neckrein - that's where you hold both reins in one hand and move that hand left or right for indirect reining. If your horse neckreins he'll probably be wearing a curb, in which case you really don't want to use any direct rein. Western curbs are rather more harsh than those used on a double bridle, and certainly more than a Pelham or something similar. If the horse doesn't neckrein he's probably in a snaffle and you'll probably have closed reins; kind of a pain in a Western saddle.

Riding Western, think bareback with stirrups. You'll want a balanced, centered seat. Your stirrups are normally set a little longer than a dressage stirrup would be. Just don't have them so short that you end up sitting back on the cantle. Bad for the horse, bad for your butt. It's also become acceptable to do a rising trot if the horse doesn't have a nice, smooth jog, no matter what anyone says.

In a Western saddle your feet are naturally going to stick out more that in an English saddle. Your aids are just like in English, but they'll come more from your knees, thighs and weight shifts than from the calves.

ENGLAND, Devon
Level Contributor
27 posts
5. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

Hey pzp, so in other words soar a""" for a while, DO YOU HAVE COWS IN KAILUA might be easier ha ha. Thanks for the info appreciate it.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
59 reviews
23 helpful votes
6. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

We can probabably arrange for you to ride a bull... if you're totally BONKERS. <g>

You probably won't have any more trouble with your okole than on an English saddle. If you ride, you already know how to use your knees. Just make sure your stirrup length is comfortable.

ENGLAND, Devon
Level Contributor
27 posts
7. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

ok will do. thanks!!

Hennepin, Illinois
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

kahuku kai (293-8081) in Oahu revealed.

Kids went riding ON the beach and loved it. It was nose to tail walking, but scenery was wonderful. They used western saddles.

The lady who owns/runs this is a retired veteran. Land taxes and hay were taking all her profits, so I would call before you go there.

I can vouch that this is a great ride and yes, it is on the beach. The only people on that northeastern shore were three men fishing.

Tenn
8 posts
9. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

I heard from my clients no problem having horses and dogs on the beach.

I hear they just do not permit animals.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
140 posts
10. Re: Horse Riding on kailua beach

Horses and dogs are not animals? That's news to me.