We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

My wife and I are looking for a place to stay in Lanikai/Kailua as close to the beach as possible. We had a place picked out, but it has no A/C. How important is it to have A/C if you are right on the coast in August? The place has fans. It is also elevated on a hill overlooking the ocean, which might help get more breeze.

Can anyone help me here?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

It's not all that necessary to have A/C. If you get a nice ocean breeze either during the day, or at night, it should be comfortable. If you have overhead fans, that should be even better. If you feel a need to be safe/secure within your home, and shut/lock all windows/doors, then having A/C is definately a plus.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

I get hot pretty easily, but when we stayed in June I just bought an extra floor fan to put by my bed at night for a little extra night time comfort. Otherwise I was fine with the breezes through the windows. Just remember to be a good quiet neighbor if you are leaving your windows open!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

Thank you so much. We are looking at staying at the Hale Moana, owned by Candice Pacheco. It is up on a hill, unobstructed, so breezes would come right through (so would the sun). I am really only concerned with sleeping. During the day, we likely will be out and about or not caring. Can't sleep in the heat though. She said they do have portable fans but I don't think there are ceiling fans.

Anyone hear anything about this property? I also want to make sure it is on the "legal" side of the continuum.

Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

Stayed at Hale Moana three years ago, and am planning on returning next year. It is ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY WONDERFUL; the views are incredible (most beautiful sunrises in the world)and the neighborhood serene. Do yourself a massive favor and schedule a bunch of Lanai time.

Don't begin to claim mastery of the "Legal Rental" issue; sure hope you/we get a thumbs-up from someone who is an Expert.

If everything is a go, don't wait too long to make your reservation!

(Oh, one other thing, it is a fair hike to the beach; more-so on the way home due to the climb.)

Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

What is the address? I will check with the City officials if it is legal.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

I asked for the address but she hasn't responded yet. I will likely book this in the next day or two provided I don't hear anything bad.

Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need A/C in August on Lanikai?

This is only my opinion, but I looked at their web-site and my gut feeling is it’s not “legal”. The only way to be certain is to call the City officials at the Department of Planning & Permitting (808 523-4193) and give them the address and any other information you have. Some forum members interpret my posts as being negative. I don’t want you think that I am trying to persuade you to not visit Hawaii. That is not the case. Please do visit and enjoy Lanikai and all of the other areas of Oahu. I am only advising you and other visitors to our Island to prudently check out their accommodations (this is good advice for wherever you travel). There are numerous “legal” accommodations in Lanikai and with little effort; you should be able to find what you are looking for. I can tell you with first hand knowledge that many of the “illegal” accommodations in Lanikai have been cited in the last four months and they all will ultimately be forced to shut down. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion if this is right or wrong, but for the residents of Lanikai, their Association has unanimously requested the City to do so.