We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Trip Report - Kailua

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Live Trip Report - Kailua

I don't know about anyone else, but my favorite trip reports are the live ones.

We're currently staying with friends just up from Lanikai beach enjoying a gorgeous morning, super warm here and trade winds are very light.

Plans today include snorkeling and kayaking in a few minutes, and some shopping and lunch later.

If anyone's interested I'll give some details as we go along....

later....

Troy

Mentioned in this post
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,644 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Nazareth...
Level Contributor
350 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Keep the reports coming if you have time!

We live vicariously through the trip reports!

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Well the snorkeling and kayaking were great!

There isn't an over abundance of coral and fish off Lanikai, but for first timers it's great. Thankfully the friends we're staying with have a kayak that we used to head out to 'Flat Island' on and take a walk. super nice, although I have to say that I'm glad I didn't pay a fortune to rent one.

Over all Lanikai is an absolutely beautiful beach with super fine sand and not much for crowds. If you can make the drive over here and find a parking spot I highly recommend it.

Got quite the sunburn on all of us already.

more later.....

Mentioned in this post
Lanikai Beach
Lanikai Beach
2,644 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Please keep up updated ... I love live trip reports! :-) Are you eating at some of the local restaurants around Kailua or cooking at home with your friends? I like Pinky's Pupu Bar & Grill, as well as Buzz's. Kalapawai Market has GREAT sandwiches, breakfasts, coffees, etc. Also Island Snow has yummy shave ice. Have a great time, and keep reporting!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kalapawai Market
Kalapawai Market
141 Reviews
Oahu, HI
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Mahalo! Tell more please. :)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Visit Waimanalo Beach. You'll love it! Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Waimanalo Beach
Waimanalo Beach
597 Reviews
Oahu, HI
United States
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Live or not I love trs. Mostly detailed ones!

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Cool, I'd love to share more details.

So after coming back from the beach our daughter (13) had the shopping urge and decided she needed new bathing, we into town for lunch and shopping. On our friends recommendation we searched for Big City Diner, unfortunately couldn't find it and decided on Teddy's Burgers.....I think we won ......everybody LOVED the burgers and fries there. The major downside was how hot the little restaurant was.

Anyway....we highly recommend Teddy's.

I think tomorrow is some boogie boarding ( son - 10 ) is dying to try that, and maybe a trip up to the north shore.

more later...

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Well, we awoke to a pretty steady rain that didn't seem to go away, so went away - over to Waikiki for the afternoon.

We parked at the Hale Koa garage so we could begin our stroll at HHV, and point out to the kids where we stayed a couple years ago. Took some pics with the animals of the HHV then on to the beach. Walked down to Waikiki central, lucky to pick up a shave ice sample provided by Target. Then a great lunch at Dukes. Wife and I have the famous Lava Flows ( yum! ).

Lots of shopping along Kalukua (sp?).

Hung out at HHV again to watch the sunset ( beautiful ).

tomorrow....hopefully Hanauma Bay.....

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hale Koa Hotel
Hale Koa Hotel
2,135 Reviews
Oahu, HI
LUBBOCK
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

We plan on visiting in May possibly staying in a cottage close Bellows Beach. We have never been to the island but visited Maui in 07.

Do you know much about Bellows and the accomadations? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Calgary
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live Trip Report - Kailua

Today was Hanauma Bay day. We got to the parking lot around 8:15 and there was proabably around 20 or 30 spots still available, so no problem at all ( I was starting to get the impression if you weren't lined up at the gate for the 6am opening you were waiting until people started leaveing around 10 or 11am )

So my review of the place......crowded. While I absolutely LOVED the snorkeling, and was able to see pretty much everything I was hoping to see ( many different fish, and coral, including some really cool schools! ) actual bumping into other snorkelers in the water and having to listen to bratty kids screaming their heads off on the beach - the crowds definately detract from the experience.

OH! we also stopped at the viewpoint right after HB to check out 'the secret lava tube ' to view the waves crash - most excellent!

We also stopped at Halona blowhole and Makapu'u ( beautiful scenery! )

Later this afternoon might be some shopping for the obligitory choco mac nuts and coffee from Longs Drugs.

later...

Troy

PS. Not sure what we're doing yet tomorrow. I'll keep writing if anyone says they're still reading...

JUST MY OPINION.

Mentioned in this post
Halona Blowhole
Halona Blowhole
587 Reviews
Oahu, HI