We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kailua beach studio rental

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
roseville, ca
4 posts
Save Topic
kailua beach studio rental

I will be coming to Kailua next summer & have been looking into staying at a studio on the beach. Has anyone been here bfore or if you live there, do you know what this area is like? Is it fairly quiet? Is it as close to beach as it looks? Thank you all for any information, here is the website where I have read about it:

http://www.hawaiibestrentals.com/

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kailua beach studio rental

hey c.ford OR other in the know Kailua side

is this company an illegal rental?

just so you know lovesturtles there have been

big heated arguements about the

subject of illegal rentals esp on O'ahu

for months... in both the

Honolulu advertiser and Star Bulletin.

My take on this is that quite few (many)

mainland tourists are from suburbs or worse

exurbs (but they cant stand the term rural)

so in order to feel at "home" they want

a spot in Hawaii very similiar.

I could see wanting to say out in the boonies

in quieter areas than GOOD OLE Waikiki

if one lives in NYCChitown the main part

of the twin cities proper. La (all of it)

Atlanta DC Seattle in short big noisy

cities ... that's my shameal for today.

roseville, ca
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kailua beach studio rental

Thank you for the info. I don't know if it's an illegal rental, it doesn't appear to be. How would I find out? I have stayed in Waikiki 5 times already and was looking for a quieter place on the beach. I did look on the North Shore too, but this is prettier as I have visited the beach & park once before. There are a couple more similar websites advertising rentals. They are:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/kailuabeach/

http://www.kailuabeach.net/

Thank you for the feedback. What makes a rental illegal? If someone owns a property, aren't they allowed to rent it out?

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kailua beach studio rental

lovesturtles,

touristrap# is right about the hooha here about rentals.

A rental is illegal when it's in violation of zoning laws, so no, a property owner isn't allowed to rent it out any way s/he wants.

The obvious example is that you can't partition your home into offices, turn it into a store, a storage spot, or a band practice studio for rent. So you can see the similarities when you see all the ads "sleeps 10," "sleeps 20," "minimum 5 day rental," and so on. It's a big disturbance to regular residential life & completely dissimilar to its next door neighbors.

I looked at the website & do not know if that beachfront studio is legal. The way it works is that a rental that didn't exist prior to 1989 is illegal - that's when the vacation rentals (which were mostly illegal then, btw) were grandfathered in on the condition that no more were allowed.

The website, however, does feature other illegal rentals. The Lanikai rental is illegal. Many illegal vacation home owners will say, "we're legal, here's our excise tax license." An excise license is acquired by paying the city $5 and now you can charge tax & can also pay commercial taxes under that number - it doesn't mean the city sanctions whatever activity someone does under the tax license.

I can understand wanting to stay somewhere like that Kailua studio. To answer your original question, it's a wonderful area and from what you've said, it fits your bill. That said, many residents of Hawaii hope that visitors will honor our zoning laws that keep such areas quiet and residential.

Aloha,

c.ford

roseville, ca
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: kailua beach studio rental

Thank you c.ford, this was excellent information. We would definitely prefer to stay in an authorized rental. I will try my best to get certainty that this one is okay. I did receive an email from the owners when I had questions & the 2 studio units are totally separate from one another, one is on the second level and the other that walks out to the beach. And they are charging 11.4% tax as well although I do realize anyone could probably do that. Thank you again and if you come across anymore information, please post what you can. Thanks!!!

ohio
Level Contributor
398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kailua beach studio rental

loveturtles, this arguement has been going on for years. It is being questioned in court if they are illegal. The state is sure collecting all those taxes. If it was illegal they would not be operating. These vacation rental owners are some very respected buisness owners of the community. At the same time, the real problem occurs when a renter comes to Kailua and parties from 7:00am to 3:00 am with loud music and loud voices. Respect the area, if you want to go to a quiet area be quiet yourself. Try VRBO.com for rentals. Good luck

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kailua beach studio rental

Hey lovesturtles

I believe c.ford answered your question most accurately.

but to add more fuel to the fire based on last reply

I found this website that maybe of more info.

http://www.bnbcoalition.org/index.html

they really explain the situation.

home
Level Contributor
85 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kailua beach studio rental

I rented through VRBO for next summer for Kailua and tried to search if it was a legal rental. All I saw was that it is a residental property. we're just looking for a nice property near the beach for our 25th Anniversary. we're not planning on being loud party people, just want to enjoy the area. With all the rentals available on VRBO in the Kailua area are mostly all in violation of the rental law?

Wisconsin/Illinois...
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: kailua beach studio rental

I was at Kailua beach last week... I think it was a Sat./Sun. so it was the weekend so a bit busier. The parks were pretty full with people picnicing. There is a beach past the Kailua beach that is connected to it but has a different name and you have to go between the houses to get onto the beach. It was recommended to us for snorkeling and bigger waves. It was pretty quiet and beautiful with mountains all around. It did get busier in the afternoon but like I said it was on the weekend too.

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kailua beach studio rental

czechred,

Yes, they are mostly in violation, amazing as that is.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kailua beach studio rental

Well, this has been on my mind, so I'm going to throw in my 2 cents.

First of all, I realize most people who ask questions about Oahu rentals are concerned about how nice the property will be, and if their deposits are going to simply disappear, taken by unsavory operators who falsely advertise on the web. When c.ford questions the legality of these units, it rarely means that the units aren't perfectly fine places to stay, or that their owners are going to take the money and run. You will see review after review on this and other forums of people who have had wonderful stays in places they found at vrbo.com or through gohawaii.com, alternativehawaii and other such sites. Whether or not these places are actually legal short-term rental units is 1) difficult to find out and 2) a matter of timing more than quality or reputation. The peculiar laws as they currently exist grandfathered in rental units that were in existence in th late 80's . This was after a decade of land speculation that brought tremendous inflation to the price of desirable neighborhoods such as Kailua, and brought a change in the neighborly feeling of the area (certainly not a situation unique to Kailua!).

There is nothing, to my knowledge, that states anything about the QUALITY of those units that were made legal in the 80's, or even if the owners are responsible managers who maintain a good control over the neighborliness of their tenants: amount of people staying in the home, number of cars, noise levels and the like.

If you are interested in renting such a place, you will probably find that unless you are paying a premium price, your accomodations will be comfortable but not luxurious. If your owner is charging you taxes, that means that the state of Hawaii is most likely benefitting from your rental. Most of the owners fear the IRS more than they fear being caught by the police in illegal rental activity. To get a better idea if your owner is reputable, do a google search of their name and see what comes up. I can tell you that the chances are excellent that your owner is reliable and does a regular business of renting to satified customers.

That said, be aware that the chances are that your rental is not technically legal. This would only have an impact on you if someone called the police, and they arrived and saw evidence that you were a renter. In other words, it's almost impossible for you, with the laws as they exist, to lose to on your money or your place to stay. This is ironic, because most communities with private rental homes in neighborhoods in other states, such as my own CA, have far stricter regulations about how you are allowed to "behave" when renting, including very specific rental agreements that CAN get you evicted if you break the rules! But since there has been a 15 year moratorium on legal rentals on Oahu, there is no need for mostowners to have such specific rental agreements!!

SO, what's a morally upstanding visitor to do? Kailua and Lanikai encompass one of the most beautiful stretches of beach in the world. Staying there compared to Waikiki is like night and day. Well, how about at least living by the intent of the law, which is, don't disturb the neighborhood! If you choose to rent there, try to find a location as close to the beach as possible- there is a much higher percentage of rentals vs. full time residents on the beachfront homes. Also, be quiet- no late night parties! Walk instead of drive- indeed, that's a benefit to the neighborhood compared to Waikiki tourists driving in and parking. Spend your money on small local businesses and restaurants. Don't pack more people into your rental than is listed on the rental statement. Be a GOOD NEIGHBOR. Someday, the city and county of Honolulu will figure out a way to make this work in everyone's favor, but in the meantime, give a wonderful neighborhood the benefit of your tourist dollars without the nuisance of a noisy tourist attitude!