We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

Hi,

We were looking at some rentals close to Kailua Beach Park but are now thinking about Two Duck Inn which is up in the north part (Kalama Beach?) Is this part of the beach as nice (or nicer?) than the south part by the Beach Park? How long does it take to walk end to end?

Also, are there many restaurants within walking distance (10 min?) around this area, or how long would it take to walk to the city center where a lot of the restaurants seem to be?

Thanks!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,335 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

I have never been to Kalama Beach so can't answer the first question.

Here is a good link for Kailua. You can download a couple of maps. You can also order a couple for a few $$.

www.kailuavacationrentals.net/kailuamap.html

United States
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

You'll need to rent acar if you're staying in Kailua.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
809 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

We are renting a car to explore the island, but just trying to get an idea on if there are advantages to staying at either the north or south end near the beach park for things that we could walk to as we don't want to have to drive everywhere to get to a nice section of beach or good restaurant.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

I forgot to add in my IM, you can probably walk to Pinky's from Kalama.

I would usually drive to town from either location though.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,335 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

I think this is the address of Two Duck Inn:

1330 Kainui Drive, Kailua, HI 96734

It maps out 7 blocks or so north of Kalama Beach near Kainalu Elementary School.

So it would be a mile or so to downtown Kailua & a little more than that to Kailua Beach.

kailuavacationrentals.net/images/kailuamap/K…

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

Grew up on Kailua beach, so here goes...

From end to end, the beach is around 2.5 miles....maybe a tad less. I usually run it rt in about 45 minutes (hey, I'm old!). Kalama is almost in the middle...maybe slightly toward the south end. If your place is on Kainui (we used to call it Duck Rd for all of the ducks wandering around), you'll have a little bit of a walk to Kalama. But, unless you want restrooms or showers (at Kalama), there are plenty of closer beach access points. Beach will be much less crowded than Kailua beach park or Kalama.

As for walking to town from Kainui...too far...use the car. It would be closer to a 20 minute walk into Kailua town. However, the previous poster is righ on about Pinky's near Aikahi Park. You can walk there in less than 10 and there is a good plate lunch place next to Safeway in Aikahi Park shopping center.

Aloha, Jim

7. Re: Is the north section of Kailua Beach as nice as the south?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 25, 2010