We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kailua/Kanoehe and drive times

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yokosuka, Japan
Level Contributor
196 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kailua/Kanoehe and drive times

Does anyone have ideas on the drive time from Kailua/Kaneohe area to the Pearl Harbor Naval Station, University of Hawaii-Oahu, and University of Hawaii Manoa? Specifically during rush hour - some people are saying 20 minutes and others are saying 45.

We just found out we are moving there in a few weeks and have been advised to live in the Kaneohe or Kailu areas.

Any experts with advice on real estate agents or apartment rentals would also be welcomed. We will be stationed there for about 21 months.

Thank you,

Jennie

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kailua/Kanoehe and drive times

The reason you are getting so much difference in travel times is that the time it takes to get from Point A to Point B anywhere on the Island is due to rush hours (AM, Noon, PM), accidents etc.

Last Wednesday it took me 1 hour to go 10 miles from town to Pearl Commissary due to an accident on the H-1 freeway at 10:45AM.

You need to give a little more info about what you need in the way of housing. Kailua and Kaneohe are very nice but not the only places that might suit you.

Do you have pets, children (what ages/schools needed?) Are you looking for a house/townhouse/condo? What is your price range?

How many parking spaces do you need?

What part of the Island is your work place/office? then we can suggest other areas that might be as good or better than Kailua/Kaneohe.

Just a little general info....

Partly furnished condos mean they have appliances but no actual furniture.

Alot of rentals are privately owned and you might be dealing with an individual or his/her agent.

Most condos have only one parking stall and street parking is hard to find in town.

Houses are mostly single wall construction.

Most rentals will required 1st months rent and a deposit equal to one months rent in advance. They are not supposed to ask for a cleaning fee/pet fee on top of that.

Check the State of Hawaii Tenant Landlord Code booklet.

Check rentals in Honolulu Advertiser classifieds.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kailua/Kanoehe and drive times

hawaii.gov.......

Under "search" type in "landlord tenant code" and it will connect you to the specifice page for this info.

Yokosuka, Japan
Level Contributor
196 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kailua/Kanoehe and drive times

Thank you. I was really most interested in drive times, but I can provide the other information. Any information other than drive times is a bonus.

I am not really sure what time rush hour is. My husband would be commuting from Kailua/Kaneohe to Pearl Harbor - probably around 6 or 7 am. I do not have a job and not sure when I will look, since we are expecting our first child soon. Just an average time would be fine. I realize accidents can happen.

We do have a dog, 80lbs, are looking for 2-3 bedrooms, 2 parking spaces.

We picked Kailua based on the advice of 4-5 of the other LTs who have been stationed on the island. But we are open to other areas.

4. Re: Kailua/Kanoehe and drive times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 27, 2009