We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

Hello! Wife and I are heading to Kauai The last week of November for 7 days which is booked. However - we are going to fly in earlier for an extra 3 or 4 days and having the most difficult time deciding where to go. Should we just go straight to Kauai and do 11 days on 1 island. Or should we check out Maui or The big island? Think it would be cool to check out one of the other islands.

Wife has never been - I’ve been to Maui / Kauai but been about 15 years since my good ole college days so it will all be pretty new to me. We are totally game for any and all things. Love the water, hikes, cute little towns, local food/good drinks... super go with the flow.

Any help would be super appreciated?

8 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
76,978 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: 4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

I just posted on the Maui one that I think you should go to Oahu, Erik. Don't stay in Kailua..............same illegal rental prob there as some places on Maui.

Hit Waikiki-you two will have a blast.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
2. Re: 4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

Was hoping for someone a little more helpful.

Maui
Level Contributor
76,978 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: 4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

Sorry! I tried to be helpful....if you give your nightly budget we can rec condos and hotels both. But there isn't much point in reccing Halekulani if you want a condo for 150/nt :-). Your q is so open-ended that it makes responses kind of tough.

Oahu has plenty to offer-nightlife, tons of restaurants, awesome beaches, history, surfing, and more. Waikiki has nightlife---much more than any other island. There are hikes, tours, the whole Pearl harbor complex, Kualoa Ranch, gardens, Byodo In Temple, gosh....I could go on forever. But I don't know what *you* like or want-tough to help!

California
Level Contributor
51,810 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: 4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

I am a little confused ... you have posted on a sub-Forum for Kailua on the Island of Oahu Forum ... but let's see ...

So, you're coming in early - great! - but that's Thanksgiving Week, yes? Very, very popular time ... so you should decide soon on your Island, your accommodations ... and reserve your car.

Always count your nights when you travel, as that's how your accommodations will charge. And it's less confusing. 3 or 4 day (2 nights? 3 nights?) is not enough to really do justice to any of the major Islands ... and the costs and availability may be a real roadblock. You may lose way, way too much time "in process."

Where are you flying in to? If you are flying in to Honolulu/Oahu ... why not spend your "early time" there. Like the other major Islands, you won't be even skimming the surface ... but it may be the most convenient and time-efficient. Oahu is generally rural, and it's gorgeous - although you might need to spend your nights in a hotel on Waikiki.

Adding time to Kauai ... who could say "no" to that?

I would not attempt Maui during Thanksgiving Week. The Big Island (AKA Island of Hawaii) is SO big that all of the other Islands could fit inside of it twice - with room to spare. So if you decide on the Big Island, focus on one area ... and give it at least 3 or 4 nights.

I hope this helps.

Edited: 11:07 pm, October 02, 2018
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,631 posts
5. Re: 4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

I think this was a mistake post, probably intended for Kaua`i.

But, I'll say what I said on his other thread:

Why not visit O`ahu?

Take the ORD nonstop over.

Maui
Level Contributor
76,978 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: 4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

LOL, I suggested Oahu on his Maui thread too :-).

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
30,631 posts
7. Re: 4 extra days - need advice/help :-) Big island/Kauai/Maui

Great minds at work, right!?

Maui
Level Contributor
76,978 posts
18 reviews
16 helpful votes