We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

Howdy,

We have two boys, 10 & 11. Medium swimmers. Are they going to be able to swim or body surf in the Haleiwa / North Shore area? We are staying there for 5 days before going to Maui. Any suggestions on beaches for October 8-15. I'm starting to have nightmares about 15 feet waves!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

That is an iffy question. It's already starting to turn. Over this past weekend, the surf was 2-7 feet. Too much for me. Today, it's back to being flat. It will fluctuate like that until about November when it will be high most of the time. I snorkel and the north shore is the best place on the island for that. I don't plan any snorkel trips up there after the 1st of October.

The best beaches with the best conditions will be found on the windward side, Kailua and Lanikai or in Waikiki during your time here.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Lanikai
Lanikai
Oahu, HI
South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

Thanks for the answer. I had a feeling about that. I guess we will just have to do day trips to the beaches that you suggested. THANKS!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

Can you change your plans? I wouldn't want to be driving south for beaches -- or to sightsee -- more than once. (Have you 'done' the historic sights in Honolulu?)

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

Thanks for your suggestion but I can't change at this point. I think we will stick to non swimming related activities and plan for body surfing once we get to Maui. We are going to LEGO in Honolulu and Pearl Harbor though.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

One thing to keep in mind is that your boys shouldn't judge the waves by whether there are locals in the ocean. They have a very intimate knowledge of conditions and currents here from a whole life of knowing this ocean (and some still drown).

Take a look at how other visitors are faring in the water. Tell the boys to watch the ocean at least fifteen minutes before going in.

I was on the North Shore end of September when a big swell came in. 15 foot waves indeed. Watching the surf action would have been fun, but because all the surfers turned out, there was almost no parking at those beaches. I got a glimpse from the road.

We were able to explore beaches between Haleiwa and Kaena Point, which were fairly deserted. They were interesting, but none of them seemed swimmable. Even though end of September, it wasn't flat or even close anywhere due to the swell, which was generated way over in Guam by some storm or typhoon.

Mentioned in this post
Guam
Guam
Mariana Islands
6. Re: Haleiwa in 4 weeks, yea! Question about the water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 26, 2013