We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Ewa Beach like?

Montecito...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
What is Ewa Beach like?

My husband and our three adult children are renting a cottage in Ewa Beach through VRBO for Christmas week. The pictures look pretty, but we have never stayed in that area and would like information on the area.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saskatchewan
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

My husband and I are also at Ewa Beach with our adult children over the Christmas holidays. I have been trying to find out more about the area but information isn't plentyful. The pictures that you see on VRBO do look wonderful but I have been told that the traffic can be difficult and the noise from the overheard aircraft can be annoying. When I contacted our agent who we rented from, I was told that in all the years she had been doing this, she has never heard any complaints about the noise?.

I have looked at the maps of the area on Google Earth and it looks like there is only main highway that gets you in and out of Ewa Beach, so not sure what that will be like.

I can't wait to get there and find out for myself but I hope I not disappointed, this is our first holiday like this we have taken.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,337 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

1. Fort Weaver Road, the only meaningful access into Ewa Beach and numerous major residential developments, is an absolute madhouse during rush hours...to be avoided at all costs...but otherwise not too bad.

2. Ewa Beach is an older, well-established community which used to have a kind of "rough" reputation in the old days as it was comprised of mostly mid to lower income "local" families coupled with nearby military housing, and located by itself at the end of the road. However, it has changed dramatically in recent years as the area around it has been urbanized, real estate prices have moved upwards, and that portion of Oahu (the Ewa/Kapolei Plain) has become more homogenous in population and attracts greater numbers of tourists due to the nearby Ko Olina Resort.

3. It has among the best climate on Oahu for vistors. Exceptionally dry, warmer, and less windy (which some residents hate about it). If there is only one sunny place on the whole island because of storms, it will be Ewa Beach.

4. The shoreline has uneven and narrow beach strands, and due to the close-in reef and its ensiltation over time the ocean recreational opportunities are not that great. Other Oahu folks and tourists don't drive to Ewa Beach in order to spend a day at the beach, unless they are surfers or seaweed ("ogo" & "limu") pickers. If you have ever been to central Kihei on Maui, the Ewa Beach shoreline is similar. But, there are sand pockets and openings in the reef where you can swim and play in the water if you just look for them or ask a local.

5. It is a haul to get into Honolulu and Waikiki; about 35-45 minutes during non-peak traffic hours. But it can be two to three times that long in commuter periods. Within 15 minutes are: a major resort (with swimming lagoons and marina); numerous golf courses; stores, restaurants and entertainment in Kapolei; and, the outlet mall at Waikele. And, it makes it easier to get to the fantastic "country" beaches along the North Shore and Waianae coast than being in Waikiki.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapolei
Kapolei
Oahu, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

Hey, you'll like Ewa! We stayed on the North Shore, just south of Haleiwa, for two months last year. The beaches on the north side, except for at Sunset, were incredibly dirty. We went to Ewa for the beaches because they were clean and nobody was on them. Yeah, the traffic is evil at rush hour! PS All the times we were on the beaches and in the area, I never heard any noise at all overhead. In fact, that's one thing that I noticed about the whole area, the quiet.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Haleiwa
Haleiwa
Oahu, HI
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Level Contributor
187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

I live in Ewa Beach and it is hot, sunny and dry. It hardly ever rains here BUT I like it here because I like living in a new community.

The main road, Fort Weaver Road, can be really bad during rush hour but it's okay during the non-rush hours. It takes us about 20 minutes just to get to the freeway, and almost an hour total from our house to Honolulu where we work, and this at peak traffic time. The traffic usually decreases a little during the Christmas season. University's on break, kids are on vacation and adults take time off for the holiday. To me, the traffic feels less during that time and we enjoy taking advantage of it.

If you're renting a cottage in Ewa Beach I think you may be at a place near the end of Fort Weaver Road. The area there is older and can have it's 'rough' patches. Or you may be staying at this place called the Iroquois Point Beach Club, a gated community that used to be a Navy military base.

We live in the newer developments and have seen this place grow faster than weeds do. You can tell when you pass through the newer developments then hit the older areas which is probably where'll you'll be. There's a beach park at the end of the road which is nice.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. Give us a report.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Haslett, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

Please advise what your experience was like in Ewa Beach. We are planning a trip to Oahu the first week of April 2008 and are looking at a rentel in Ewa Beach on the VRBO site - the listing is #49607.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

cscheid

I would not stay in Ewa Beach. It is a decent area, but too far from most attractions. Also the traffic to & from is really bad.

If you are looking to be away from Waikiki, try Kailua area or north shore.

Lots of Oahu info;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Haslett, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

Thanks for the comments we'll take them into consideration. I did some online checking in the area you mentioned though and most of what came up indicated there was a 10-30 min. walk to the beach. We're looking for something beachfront (2 bedrooms & at least 2 bathrooms)and not a high rise. How bad can the traffic be in Ewa Beach though? It's not like we're going to be going anywhere in a hurry. In fact there are some days we won't even leave the rental. We do plan to tour the island some, but we're there to relax and enjoy the ocean and sunshine. We're not into all the tourist trap stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

I have a hard time thinking of Ewa Beach as a vacation destination. As Dusty mentioned, way too far from anything of interest. Yes, the beaches are nice, but there are many many nice beaches on Oahu in places that I would rate as offering better vacation perks. To me Ewa is just a residential area, a mixture of newer tract houses and older areas.

I believe there are some nice golf courses there. IIRC maybe some horseback riding too? I remember reading something about a proposal to close the public parks there (along with parks in some other areas) at night---did anything ever happen with that?

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Level Contributor
187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

If you're looking for a getaway then Ewa Beach is one of the many places to stay. The only time traffic is bad is during rush hour, which is early morning and in the evening. Any time other than that is very easy going. I'm sure you'll be sleeping in in the morning and having a barbeque on the beach in the evening so you won't even touch any traffic if you choose to relax that way.

North Shore's nice and so is Kailua but give Ewa Beach a chance and you'll get the same beautiful beach scenery but with Diamond Head in the background.

Wish more people would come out and see that it really is a nice place to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Ewa Hotel
Ewa Hotel
495 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
10. Re: What is Ewa Beach like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 19, 2009