We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hostel from hell

Which Wailuku hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
hostel from hell

Hostel From Hell

Forty odd years ago, I stayed at a hostel in the South Lake Tahoe area.

I slept in a dormitory room and had to venture down the hall to the bathroom.

But hey, I was young and on a cross country skiing trip with friends.

This past September, I realized how hostels have improved.

My step daughter and I stayed in a youth hostel in Munich Germany.

Get this. It had a pizza parlor, a cocktail lounge, and downstairs, a TV room, games room, even a room full of tents so kids could camp.

The best part of all was a single family room with en suite bathroom.

What a pleasant surprise all of that was!

So on my recent trip to Maui, I thought I'd try another hostel.

Big mistake.

Simple Simon(that's me) didn't look at the online picture very hard, or maybe I might have noticed that this was not Munich.

I should have been warned when I stepped into the hostel office and glanced at how unkempt the office and manager's room was.

I later learned that this place has 2 hostels, one with air conditioning, fans, and more conveniences...and the other one. From what follows, you can guess which one my girlfriend and I stayed in.

The one where we stayed (according to other guests/inmates)is where they send undesirables.

I'm not gonna say the walls were thin. But when you can hear someone in the next room clear their throat...well, you get the idea.

The bathroom was in the same room as the bed, and it had no door. Now I'm no prude, but give me a break!

One afternoon, I heard what sounded like someone chanting next door. “How romantic,” I thought. “Someone doing a romantic Hawaiian chant.”

Wrong again.

It was not a Hawaiian chant, but the sounds of a mentally retarded guy who had been kicked out of the other hostel.

In addition to the chanting, he kept stomping and bumping the floor and walls, much to the chagrin of neighbors on both sides and down below.

I could even have taken all of that, but not at 2 A.M. in the morning.

Actually, it got so bad that it became comical. Better to laugh than cry.

As a former psychotherapist, I have sympathy for the mentally ill, but I hadn't planned on dealing with this on vacation.

More fun came when my girlfriend was sorting her luggage and out popped a large cockroach. All one and a half inches of him, or her.

Call me squeamish, but I hate bugs, especially ones that could crawl up into the bed. Reminds me of an experience in Mexico years ago.

Uncomfortable about sitting down to go to the bathroom, I thought I'd escape downstairs to use the bathroom in the connecting restaurant. The door didn't lock but that didn't bother me..

What did bother me was the inch and a half cockroaches squirming in death on the floor. Cute, huh?

Ahh...outside to sit under the palms and breathe some fresh air. Great if you didn't mind smelling the garbage in the dumpsters nearby.

By the way, the address where we stayed was 197 Market Street, and the hostel was Moped City Maui dba Hostel City Maui.. If you're a glutton for punishment, book a stay there.

Talk about irony, the manager had the nerve to send me an email after our stay asking for a favorable review so he could continue to manage the place.

Manage? He was lucky I didn't club him to death in a rage(smile).

Oh Munich, Where art thou? (smile)

4 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hostel from hell

Yep, I have warned people many times about the Wailuku hostels. Too bad you didn't research first!

I remember you posted this before.............curious why you are posting it again so long after the fact?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hostel from hell

The hostels I have seen in Maui are not to the standard of ones I have seen in Europe. It feels like it is a loop hole in the permit system.

Recently we gave a Japanese visitor a ride to her hostel door. She was frantically waving us down. Dogs from that house we running down the street and she could not get near the property. We drove her to the hostels open front door. She was scared.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,906 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hostel from hell

If your girlfriend meant anything to you before the trip, I hope she is still with you after that stay, LOL. If so ... let her make the accommodation choices next time ... I bet you'll enjoy them a lot more. :))

p.s. forgot to add ... I'm really enjoying your reports and your writing style!

Edited: 2:42 pm, March 03, 2014
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hostel from hell

billyp you could have saved your self a lot of UGH! by asking about hostels first you would have been told to run as fast as you can from the hostels in Wailuku. I think there are a couple decent ones in Lahaina and if you want to visit Oahu I can recommend a couple decent budget hotels to stay at ,one we've stayed at before 3 times and are staying there again in May.

I expect to pay more on Maui and I do because I stay longer and I want that oceanfront lanai.

At least you have a good sense of humor about it cause I would've been outta there and ponying up some more money for a better place if it is that bad you must have a very nice girlfriend!!

Reply to: hostel from hell
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted