We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

Hi all. Wondering if anyone can tell me how much it typically rains during the day in Paia/north shore Maui? I like the sounds of a quiet place away from the huge crowds, but we're going to maui for some sun and sand, so not sure if Paia will work for our family. Thoughts?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

With sun and sand as your priority, I would choose south or west Maui. Staying in Paia will mean a half hour drive or longer each way every time you want to enjoy swimming in the ocean. The most crowded area is Kaanapali beach between the Sheraton (at Black Rock) and the Hyatt ... we stay north of Black Rock and don't find it crowded at all.

When are you thinking of going and for approx. how long?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

In the winter months Paia will average about 3 or 4 inches of rain during a month. Almost 30 inches a year. I would stay there during the summer but in winter I would go to south Maui where the chances for little or no rain are much greater.

www.idcide.com/weather/hi/paia.htm

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

When are you traveling? That's rather important. Weather Channel Web site weather.com/weather/…USHI0075 says 3.35" average rainfall in Paia in December, 2.87" in January and 1.95" in February. Site says that the respect figures for Lahaina are 4.58", 4.23" and 2.44". Those are averages, of course. weather.com/weather/…USHI0055

Where in Paia would you stay? Mama's Fish House? Nice place, and excellent restaurant but certainly not cheap.

Edited: 2:45 pm, November 03, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

Sorry, neglected the important information that we will be travelling in February.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

I don't consider Paia a quiet place with small crowds. There is one only stop light but boy does the traffic go though there.So it's very busy. Paia Inn sits right on this busy busy road/highway. If you take the town center area of Paia and count tourist heads you will find it's dense with people. Outside of the town center you won't have the crowds, but very limited on places to stay.

No snorkeling in this area in Feb. and only the advance guys will be surfing the north shore. Head south to Kihei.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

Doesn't sound like Paia is the answer. I worked there for one year and boy it got the weirdest storms flying through. Even lightning. It is hip and fun and very active in the store areas.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

Is weather.com incorrect is saying Lahaina gets more rain than Paia in February?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

Sutter, none of the national weather channels have a clue about Hawaii...look at the NOAA site or www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/maui.php…

Tons of micro-climates on Maui.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

Sutter ... this site is often recommended for trip planning weather info: hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/ (it doesn't show Paia, but it's so close to Kahului, that I'm thinking that the weather would be similar).

I think the more important factor is proximity to a swimmable beach since the OP mentions 'sand' as well. A condo at or across the street from the beach will mean that they can walk to the beach instead of having to drive half an hour to get to it.

M&M ... I would look at some google maps & street views of places that you're considering ... eg. here's one of downtown Paia. http://goo.gl/maps/h1VD4

p.s. Mamma ... I see that we're on the same wavelength at the same time ... didn't see your post until I had posted this :)

Edited: 8:31 am, November 05, 2012
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does it rain in Paia, maui?

We usually are Susan! :-)