We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Maui

S. CA
7 posts
Save Topic
First Time to Maui

My girlfirend and I just booked a air+hotel package to Maui. However, we are now stuck with our trip planning. We are arriving at airport on Fri. 11pm and leave on Monday 12:55pm. We are not sure if we should rent a car and buy the book "Maui Revelaed" and follow it like everybody was suggesting or just join the trip from local travel agency for every good things at Maui? We are both very excited and had no clue. If we don't rent the car how are we going to get to our hotel (Lahaina Shores Beach Resort) or is it worth it to rent the car and have our own private trip. We also want to go snorkeling, Luaus (which to choose, so many of them), visit Hana, dinner cruise(worth it?) and everything. But just need suggesting from all of you who have been there and enjoy it?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort
Lahaina Shores Beach...
1,312 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Maui

The upside to taking "canned tours" is the person driving or in charge are generally knowledgable about what ever it is you are seeing so you get a local take on things.

The downside is you may go someplace and want to spend more (or less) time there but are stuck with the schedule of the tour.

I personally would rent a car (a convertable) and se things at my own pace and of my own choosing. It also takes care of the issue of how to get to your hotel and back to the airport.

For snorkling, if you want to do it on your own there are more places than I can name. If you want a really nice tour you could book a trip out to Molokini crater or a dual trip to Molokini and either Molokai or Lanai.

The Old Lahina Luau is constantly ranked as THE best luau in Hawaii. If you decide to do that one book it long before you go as it almost always is sold out and the sooner you book the better your seat.

Visiting Hana is covered under the rent or take a tour thing. If you are on your own you can spend as much or as little time at places as you wish.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Maui

Don't buy the book, but do rent the car. Maui is quite small with lots to do close by. If you are staying in Lahaina, you will be very close to sailing trips, boating, diving and all that.

There are a ton of brochures at the airport to keep you busy for the weekend. You can probably save a ton of money by driving to the tours yourself. If you just pick out the best things to see that interest you, in advance, you will have a memorable time.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
seattle
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Maui

Don't listen to mom buy the book just don't cross privite property. Rent a car. Forget the dinner cruise do a sunset sail instead. You guy's should have a great time. Maui will just sweep you up and carry you away.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kissimmee Fl
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Maui

Do it on your own get the brochures at the Maui air port, tells you all about the Island & a few discounts.

Checkout entertainment book.com Hawaii book 2005 $30.00 you will save that the first time you use in. We have been to Hawaii 16 times and we always get the book. We are going in June. Try Alamo to rent a car, discounts in the book on every thing. It will cost you more to get around with out a car. Have a Great!

Aloha Ann

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Gervais, OR
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Maui

The entertainment book is 1/2 off right now. I'm not sure how long this sale will last.

S. CA
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Maui

Thank you all for your great suggestions, we've decide to rent a car and we got some great value on-line already Dollars or Alamo for SUV or Jeep all under $150 for our four days stay. Not to mention if we join the tour for Road to Hana will cost us $120 something each already. As for all the activities, we'll join the boats to go snorklering and visit the Tutle Reeves and Molokini. By the way, I saw there are too many Luau offering on-line, where exactly can I book for Old Lahin Luau? My trip is end of May so I think I'm very advance in booking right now. Other than that, is Sugar Cane Train a worthy trip? Again, thank you all for your passionate repsonse.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Sugar Cane Train
Sugar Cane Train
179 Reviews
Maui, HI
S. CA
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Maui

Ha ha...by the way, I will also take the suggest to buy a entertainment book, we think it's worth an investment. We are too excited and don't know where to start to now...

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Maui

Old Lahaina Luau is the best but call them direct. They are booked months in advance. The sugar cane train is not really anything. Don't listen to Jeeper, don't buy the book if you are there for just a weekend. You have plenty to keep you occupied already. Also, why do you need to pay a tour guide to take you to Hana. You can do that in the rental car yourselves. There is also a cassette tape you can rent for a couple of bucks that will be your guide on that drive. There are plenty of places on the road to stop and see waterfalls. You will see where the other cars stop. You will be amazed at what you see on that road.

Mentioned in this post
Old Lahaina Luau
Old Lahaina Luau
6,608 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Maui

voyager;

The book is fun reading and they will most likely return anyway.

I'm stepping in here since jeeper in unable to defend his position, otherwise, you know I wouldn't interupt.

S. CA
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Maui

found Old Lahaina Luau's website www.oldlahainaluau.com, the website is very informative and very detail. You can even reserve on-line for seating, I think it is very convenient. So one dinner is set, I'm going to plan my other stuff. Thanks everybody!!!