We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rentals & road to Hana

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Topic
car rentals & road to Hana

I have contacted two car rental companies in Maui and both tell me that the road beyond Hana is restricted to rental cars. What does the "road beyond" mean? Also, do people take their chances and go on this road with rental cars? I presume that most people take the southern route to Hana.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

You'll find a lot of previous posts on this topic. We've done the trip several times, always in rental cars (and only one of those times was in a 4x4). The road was fine. It is narrow in many places, there are some blind corners (you just stop & honk before proceeding), and there is a small area that is unpaved. We've never had a problem!

On our first trip we were nervous about continuing around on the rest of the Hwy. A park ranger at Oheo Gulch is the one that encouraged us to continue on. I'm so glad he did! The views & topography are terrific.

seattle
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

Yea there is a place where the rental companies don't want you go. I have not heard of anyone having trouble driving the unpaved section of this road the rental companies don't want you on. I could be wrong. I really don't see a problem here.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

I would like to know why the state of Hawaii doesn't just finish paving the road. It would be good for tourism which is after all Hawaii's biggest industry. Also it would reduce the traffic on the road TO Hana which can't be bad.

Alabama
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

The rental car company told us that if we broke down on the unpaved section of road, that they would not come get us. We would be responsible for a tow truck, etc.

We drove the road and had no problems. The scenery is beautiful on that side of Maui.

Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the trip is worth it and we do have AAA if anything does go wrong and we need a tow.

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

Keep in mind most rentals are newer cars anyways. I think they just like to use scare tactics... ;-)

You'll be fine on that road. Just don't do anything crazy like try to take it going 55mph...

Sparwood, B.C.
Level Contributor
552 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

Going 55 mph is my concern! My husband will be driving and that is a very slow speed for him - he has the tickets to prove it!

Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

Trust me. That road will humble him. ;-)

Kissimmee Fl
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

I did heard of a person geting stuck in the mud it was raining. Check out the weather before you go. If you get stuck the car rental company will make you pay.They will bill your credit card. I think it is pass the 7 pools. We only went to the 7pools, it was great.

Aloha Ann

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rentals & road to Hana

Was that a reference to driving 55mph on the road to Hana?

Most people drive 30 mph.

And a word about the car rentals. Some of those gently used hawaiian car are actually 10 to 15 years old and in disrepair.

You need good reliable transportation on some of the roads. And remember that you might not have cellphone reception in that area of Maui.