We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Osceola, Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

Our family (two adults, two kids ages 6 and 10) and my parents and brother are going to Maui in late October, staying in Lahaina. I'm looking at doing the Ka'anapali Beach Luau, since the kids get in free and the adults are only $50. The luau has live entertainment, of course, so I'm wondering if we should do an extra show, and if we do, whether it would be overkill to do Ulalena; is it much like the luau entertainment? If so, would the Kupanaha show be a better alternative?

There are two ATV tour companies; is one better than the other, and is is worth it at all?

The Ka'eleku Caverns are a good drive away from Lahaina, but it looks pretty cool; is it worth using a day to drive out there and back? My son is a budding scientist and is fascinated by this kind of stuff.

How about the sunset bike tour down Haleakala, rather than sunrise? And how about the Nature Center, and miniature golf?

Also, is it worth it to spend a whole day doing a Trilogy sailing excursion to Lanai? Is there much to see there? We only have so much time and money in paradise, you know, and I want to be sure we allocate both wisely. Thanks in advance for your help!

maui
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

ulalena is more of a production type of show. more about myth and the history of the islands done through dance,song and humor. a fun show but I don't think the young kids would like it so much. what I hear is a great show and worth the dollars is Fred and annabells magic shows. the kids would be more entertained with that. the miniature golf and nature center the kids would like. the bike tour is down hill, on the road where people drive. that is too dangerous for young kids in my opinon. trilogy and the other boats all have nice things to do and I have never had a bad experience on any of them

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

I would reccomend Ulalena and Trilogy. They are both "class" acts. I would not dream of taking under teenagers on the bike ride. If you are doing the Hana Highway, a stop at the caves might be great. The Hana experiance is really great.

Lahaina Hi
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

For a family, Kupanaha is much more fun and approriate for a family.

I believe that Kupanaha is a fun, exciting and delightful show for children and adults alike. They have a choice of food for the childrena, such as chicken nuggets, hamburger (with curly fries) or spaghetti. For the adults you have a choice of appetizer, pork quesadilla or a bruchetta. For the main course you have a choice of steak n' shrimp, fish, chicken. chicken n' shrimp or a vegetarian dish. For desert you can have a pina colada carmel cheesecake or fruit plate and for the children...ice cream. There is open bar...with ,mai tais, beer and wine and fruit drinks, sodas juice for the children. There is hula as well, with myths of Pele' throughout the show, but the sell of the show is Mastert Magicians and illusionist team Jody Baran and stunningly beautiful wife Kathleen with their 2 lovely daughters, Katrina and Crystal performing cutting-edge illusions, such as twisting Kathleen all up, cutting her in half, levitating her and making her appear and disappear, along with Kathleen and daughters performing magic together is quite a treat. Jody brings much laughter to the show as well. His wit and humor will have you rolling in your seat. There is audience participation and a spot in the show where he brings the children from the audience and does a great bit with them. This part of the show is priceless. A memory for the whole family to be remebered

always. This show is Vegas brought to Maui, but with more of a personal touch. A definate must see. Their son Robert even is the lighting and sound technician. Truly a family affair.

Indiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

musikfans,

another hoosier here!!

We have seen Ulalena and loved it but agree that 6/10 probably would not? I also think the bike trip is too dangerous for the kids(sorry to keep raining on the parade). My wife are thinking about bringing our grandkids in a year/2 and really think they would enjoy a boogie board/snorkel equipment and going to different beaches each day. There are tons of books in the airports and towns that have a lot of discount coupons for some of the activities so be sure to take advantage of them.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

Your kids cannot go to Warren & Annabelle's Magic Show as you have to be 21. The Trilogy sail to Lanai is wonderful and the whole family will enjoy! I have done twice! No to the bike ride for the kids.

Have a good trip!

6. Re: Kupanaha Magic Show vs. Ulalena, and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, August 26, 2009