We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

Hello. My husband and I along with our 2 kiddos are visiting Maui in 2 weeks. We are staying 3 nights at Honua Kai, the rest at a condo South Maui. Was hoping to get recommendations which route to take and pit stops (food/attractions along the way):

1. Googlemaps suggests I take 380 to 30. What about 340? Is there a big disadvantage if we took that route - just wondering. I figured that the only time we'll probably be able to explore that part of the island (north) will be during the drive from the airport.

2. I estimate we'll be leaving OGG close to noon. Any recommendation on which restaurants we should check out? Mama's was suggested by a friend - any other recommendations in Paia or places along the way?

Thank you!

1. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:43 am, April 06, 2014
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

I wouldn't want to risk stopping with luggage in the car as suggested by others here...maybe head straight to Honua Kai and if you can't get into your room right away, ask if they have a place to put your luggage and go to Dukes on their grounds for drinks or food...nice scenery there....

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

You don't want to take 340. Check the Top Questions -- the road has been pretty much closed for repairs, and then there's this:

tripadvisor.com/…55456975

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

If you value your life or your nerves at the least you don't want your first experience in Maui to be on 340, and especially in the outside lane...which implies that there are multiple lanes, which in many places is not the case.

Follow the crowds (and the signs) one the south route and you will end up in the right place. As for what to see along the way, you are only talking 45 min. If you are super early and have all your things in the trunk I guess you could stop at the Maui Ocean Center. And there are some lookouts where you could take photos. Otherwise I would just go to the hotel. Plenty to do around there when you arrive.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

You can stop along the way in Olowalu between mile marker 15 & 16. On the right hand side of the road is Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop. Operated by the same family that owns Star Noodle, Aloha Mixed Plate and provides the food for Old Lahaina Luau.

Well prepared sandwiches, hand held pies (think empanadas), pot pies and sweets. Grab a loaf of freshly baked bread to toast in the morning or spread cheese on in the pm.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

I don't like parking with luggage in the car, so we always drive straight to our condo, unload stuff, then go out for food and shopping. Follow the signs, it's an easy drive. If you are there during whale season, I could see making a quick stop at the lookout, along 30, a little past Maalaea Harbor. Otherwise, drive it straight through. It will be easier and more enjoyable to head out, after you've dropped off everything and freshened up.

If you do go to Paia, I love Paia Fish Market. It's order-at-the-counter, community tables, and great food. Fish tacos, fish sandwiches, and my favorite, seafood pasta. We usually grab lunch there and then spend the afternoon up-country in Makawao and Kula.

California
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

1. Follow the rental companies directions. All very easy plus they give you a map.

2. Stop for meals after arriving and just park at a place that you can keep an eye on your car from your table. All very easy and there are dozens of places to eat just minutes from the airport. With two kids in tow it's not like your looking for a high end restaurant just after stepping off the plane.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
528 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

I can't remember the road numbers right off hand. The lady at the rental car exit gave my husband directions to get to Honau Kai. I think it did take about 45 minutes for us to get there. I second with mauinuts about making a pit stop at Leodas. Delicious food! Take a chocolate cream pie to enjoy on your lanai later in the evening. I would feel safe with your luggage being there as you can park where you can keep an eye on your car. Enjoy your stay at Honau Kai!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

The key to leaving the luggage in the trunk, is to NOT open it when you get to your lunch stop. Make sure you have your valuables with you in the front, so you can take them with you.

But if you can wait until you get to your destination, it would be much easier. From the Honua Kai, you are very close to the Fish Market, and you can experience a great fish taco there. Or just head to Duke's!

Northern California
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested route and pit stop from airport to Honua Kai

Thanks for that link. First time Maui visitor here, glad I asked around!