We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

Hi all...

First wanted to say thanks for all the great tips on this site. I am counting down the days til we leave (58) and have used this site extensively (I think hubby2be feels abandoned!) for tips... you guys are wonderful and this forum is great!

We are travelling w/a party of 6 adults in all. As we are all on a budget, hoping to do most "major" activities as a group, and want our pennies saved for eating fab meals, I was wondering if anyone in Forum land has rented a minivan for their Maui trip? If so- who would you recommend? Think one would hold 6 adults with big suitcases (we are staying 10 days)...?

And for those that have - did you take it on the road to hana and if you did - did it survive the bumpy road??

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

I have not taken a minivan on that trip but locals do it ALL the time and ALL the way around too. They have no choice, they live there. It is important that you are comfortable backing up in it though ... because it could mean backing up on a windy cliffedge road. Not overly likely, but could happen.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

We had 6 adults and yes, we rented a minivan ... don't ask me what kind but I know that it was from National.

Don't remember how much luggage we had but am pretty sure there were at least a few large suitcases ... and we had room. (Remember, you don't need that much! Don't go crazy with packing. Even for 10 days. Hawaii is NOT about appearances. It is not that sort of place ... it is very laid back and you can show up in anything. Believe me. You can be perfectly attired with just a few outfits.

We also went all the way around Hana ... and there was no problem with the bumpy road, no backing up or getting stuck in tight places ... it was perfectly fine.

Have fun!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

Thanks konagirl! We have a bit to bring because we are getting married out there and will have stuff for the wedding, but if you managed to get 6 adults in a van with enough room to spare that is what I was hoping to hear!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

Another thing to consider ... even if you have lots of luggage ... if you are only going to have the luggage in the car on the way from and to the airport, you can always stuff it full between the airport and the hotel ... most of the time your stuff will be in your room or condo.

Congrats on the wedding!

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

there is very little unpaved road going all the way around the island on the Hana side. You will be fine. We've gone twice around. If you turn around at hana you will miss a lot.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
132 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

Go all the way around! it's worth it. We did it in a 4dr grand am. no problems at all.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minivan rentals...and can they go all the way 'round?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. Not so worried now about driving around the island. :) Can't wait to get there...