We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

Ontario
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

I am currently researching Hawaii as our honeymoon destination. We would like to break up our 2 weeks into Maui and Oahu. From what ive briefly read this is what I have come up with. In Maui we were thinking of the four major hotels along the beach (Sheraton (both), Outrigger on beach and Royal Hawain). These seem to be the ones closest to the marketplace and right on the beach.

In terms of Maui we were thinking of the staying in the Kanapalii Luhunai (sp?) area because of its proximity to restaurants shops etc and general recommendation. We were thinking of one of the following four hotels (westin, sheraton, ritz carlton or the hyatt). Theyre all 5 stars but im sure there are differences between them that may best suit honeymooners! If anyone has stayed at these or could give insight as to these hotels or advice in general it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

husband2B

Seattle
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

Have you considered Kauai instead of Oahu?

It depends what kind of experience you're after, but I'd definitely consider Kauai if you're interested in a slower pace and fewer crowds.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

I'm assuming the first list of hotels was on Oahu. As far as Maui is concerned, I would read the reviews here. Especially the ones about the Ritz because it is quite far away from Ka'anapali and there have been complaints about the weather and the walk to the beach. When are you going to be on Maui?

Michigan
Level Contributor
290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

We just returned last week from the Sheraton Maui and loved it!

We walked through the Westin a couple of times for dinner and my spa appt. Walking through the pool area, it felt very crowded and noisy. The pool and grounds at the Sheraton are very long. The pool is a long winding lazy river type thing which makes the people spread out. The kiddie pool is at one far end of the pool and there are winding rivers and bridges to the other main pool. It keeps the kids away and overall it seems there are less kids at the Sheraton since there are no waterslides in the pool.

The Sheraton never felt as crowded as the Westin and I was very happy with our choice.

As far as Oahu goes....we spent 2 days in Waikiki and were dissapointed. It is not beautiful or tropical feeling at all like Maui. It is a noisy big city.

Do lots of research, but it is hard to go wrong in Maui.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

Jlefief -

Folks visiting Oahu need to keep in mind that a stay in Waikiki is an URBAN vacation - similar in many ways to a trip to Miami or any other big city in the tropics with a beach. I actually prefer Oahu to Maui as the scenery (ie the jagged mountains of the windward shore) is so much more rugged than on Maui - but almost all of the hotels on the island are in busy Waikiki - rather than the gorgeous windward shores.

I think Waikiki is a beautiful beach and I'd love to be able to go back in time 60 years or more (pre-WW2) to have seen it before Honolulu really swallowed it up. It must have been wonderful. Nowadays it's a "been there, done that" kind of place for me and I only recommend a stay there with the "warning" that "it IS an urban vacation". If you are looking for a beach with lots of nightlife and other activities, it's a great location - if you are looking for romance, it's not.

Ken

Michigan
Level Contributor
290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

Your description is right on LordBalfor. Since we were only there our first and last night, all of my research was done on Maui. We knew it was a very populated place, but were still taken back by what we experienced.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

Yeah, Oahu often gets a "bad rap" because people all stay in Waikiki and overlook the rest of the that drop-dead gorgeous island. There is of course the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore, but virtually every other resort hotel is in Waikiki.

When we do return to Oahu we'll stay in a rental house such as these...

http://www.vrbo.com/7522#morephotos

http://www.vrbo.com/8175

http://www.vrbo.com/12480#morephotos

http://www.vrbo.com/20455

www.vrbo.com/global/siteFrame.asp…

... which are on or near the beautiful, uncrowded beaches of the windward shore.

Ken

New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

When I first went to Hawaii we went to Oahu for a bulk of our trip & LOVED every second of it. It was streets, stores on one side & then the beach & oceans on the other...it was like home, but with a beach. We loved that we could walk everywhere & not need a rental car. The restaurants were only a short cab ride away for our dinners out. We were going to go back there again for our HM, but since we went there already we are going to other locations (Maui & BI)

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

h2B ~

As far as Oahu goes.....

Outrigger Waikiki on Beach and Sheraton Moana Surfrider are both across the street from the International Marketplace. Sheraton Waikiki and Royal Hawaiian are both a very short walk too.

Everyone here has good points about Oahu, but the thing you should consider is whether you plan on getting a car. Oahu has the most activities out of the islands, so it is definately worth the time. The majority of the best hotels on Oahu are in and around Waikiki, so it is hard to stay anywhere else unless you have the money or means of transportation.

TA rates your hotel choices like this:

1.) Outrigger Waikiki on Beach

2.) Royal Hawaiian

3.) Sheraton Moana Surfrider

4.) Sheraton Waikiki

I agree with this ranking too, but you certainly won't be disappointed with any of theses selections. One thing most people don't know is that Waikiki beach is a pretty beach, but it is rocky and always very crowded. My suggestion is to definately get out of Honolulu, Oahu has some of the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii, but you have to get out of the city to see them.

Like someone else suggested, vacation rentals are a good way to stay outside of Waikiki, you might try that.

Or if you are willing to pay a bit more money, you may even consider alternative hotel options like The W Hotel, Ka Olina Resort, Kahala Resort, or even Turtle Bay as someone mentioned. These resorts are much more romantic and a little more peaceful.

Hope this helps!

CB

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

Slightly OT:

LordBalfor, my mom has a picture of her taken pre-WWII (she was born in Honolulu) along the fish ponds and taro fields of Waikiki. Yup, I said taro fields. It was beautiful. You would have loved it.

My mom hasn’t been back to Waikiki in almost 20 years – she doesn’t like it and would prefer to remember “the way it was”

Such is progress, n’est pas?

Good luck and happy travels!

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymooning in Hawaii..............your thoughts?

Echolynch -

Now THAT would be a cool photo. Maybe it's because of my interest in history (I'd originally planned to become a history teacher), but I LOVE looking at old photos of places and comparing the "then" and "now" shots. On a website somewhere (can't remember where now) I saw a terrific aerial shot of Waikiki back in the late 1930s or very early 1940s when there was just the 2 hotels on the beach. Ala Moana Blvd looked like it had just been built (or perhaps just widened into a divided road) and the wetlands behind the beach are easily visable. A very, very cool shot.

Ken