We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to Lanai

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manteca California
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
ferry to Lanai

We are coming to Maui on a cruise ship for this visit. I have 2 questions. Would it be a good time to snorkel at the end of March? Also, if we wanted to take the ferry to Lanai do we have to make reservations or coud we just walk over there and get tickets?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to Lanai

How much time does the cruise ship have in port? I don't think I would even try to visit Lanai during a cruise ship stop. There is so much on Maui you won't be seeing anyway, why would you want to head to Lanai? Have you heard something about the place that you really want to do or see?

Ferries are sometimes sold out, as the residents on Lanai head to Maui for major shopping. So booking in advance is a good idea. Also, the ferry crossing BACK to Maui can be very rough. I would not want to risk missing the cruise ship sailing if you are stuck on Lanai.

And anytime on Maui is a good time for snorkeling, unless there is a storm that is hitting the whole island, or there is just a lot of rain, and run off, and murky waters.

Snorkeling is best done in the early morning, before the trade wind picks up.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to Lanai

Last time I took the ferry there was a group of people from the cruise ship going over for the day. You can buy your tickets online ahead of time

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to Lanai

You can usually find good snorkeling at any time of the year, end of March included as Joan said. The ferry can be busy or not. I would buy ahead if you are set on it. Not sure if I was on a cruise I would want to spend another 2 hours on the ferry especially with all th things to do on Maui. Lanai is nice, but so is Maui.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to Lanai

I would buy the ferry tickets ahead of time. Once in a while one whole departure can be completely sold out to one group.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to Lanai

Not trying to scare you off but when you have a "do it yourself" activity such as this if anything should happen (miss the ferry, ferry breaks down or is delayed) and you miss the sailing of your cruise you are going to have figure out a way to catch back up at the next port of call.

Lanai is a special and wonderful place but so is Maui. Not sure how long you will be in port but if it is just a day you may want to consider just checking out Maui and save Lanai for another trip on it's own.

Edited: 7:57 am, December 26, 2013
Manteca California
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry to Lanai

In answer to the question..why Lanai..it is because I had heard there is one of the best snorkeling beaches there. Twice we have spent a week in Maui, so we have done many wonderful things there already. However, the issue mentioned about making it back to the ship on time was also one of my concerns. Since my sister and her hubby are going on this cruise...and its their first time to Hawii, I think a better plan would be to rent them a car and show them the sights. Mahalo to everyone. this site is so valuable! New Years Blessings to all....Donna

7. Re: ferry to Lanai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 01, 2015