We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi in Lahaina

4 posts
Save Topic
taxi in Lahaina

Hi All-

I wanted know if cabs can be found everywhere on the streets of Lahaina ? My family & I will be visiting Lahaina for just a day and I have a car rental reserved, however I’m thinking since we won’t even be there that long perhaps a rental car isn’t necessary ? We’re coming in on a cruise docking at Kahului however I really want to make my way to Lahaina. I would only consider just taking the cab if they are readily available in Lahaina so that if & when my toddler kids get tired & fussy, I can just grab a cab & head back to the ship (so that we won’t have to wait after calling for one). Thanks to all who can help !

Aileen

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi in Lahaina

Hi Aileen,

You don't mention how you will get to Lahaina (if you decide to forego the rental car.)

For convenience, flexibility and cost, a rental car would be the best choice.

p.s. From Lahaina to Kahului, it would probably be about $75 each way by taxi. Not sure about chances of getting one quickly on the street though.

Edited: 4:26 pm, October 03, 2013
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi in Lahaina

Taxi's generally don't roam the streets on Maui looking for fares. The best way to get one would be by calling the company and pre arrange a ride. Taxi's are also very expensive on Maui. Rent that car!!

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi in Lahaina

Thank you so much everyone ! you have confirmed my initial choice of transportation. Yes, I was going to call a cab from Kahului to Lahaina if we don't rent that car (don't really mind the wait going there, however heading back during nighttime I don't think my kids will be patient enough to wait for that cab). Thank you again guys !!!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi in Lahaina

Most cruises sell shuttle tickets to Lahaina. If you ship has one you could take the shuttle to Lahaina and when you are ready to come back there will usually be cabs circling where the shuttle dropped you off.

Car rental would still be my first choice for you. Your children may enjoy a stop at the aquarium

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,025 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi in Lahaina

Lahaina is interesting, but I'm good for about an hour or so there at a time due to the busyness of it. Beaches would probably be more fun with the little ones, and as Jimgloria mentions ... the Maui Ocean Center, which is in Maalaea.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi in Lahaina

Friday night seems like there are hundreds of cabs roaming front street to pick up stranded art night people.

Not Cheap. Rental car is better but parking in Lahaina is difficult or expensive. Your choice.

7. Re: taxi in Lahaina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 06, 2014