We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stand Up Paddleboarding?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Stand Up Paddleboarding?

I have started to "SUP" in Dallas in preparation for my Christmas in Maui trip. Can anyone suggest the best places in Maui. I am a beginner....

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
11,648 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

Best place will depend on ocean conditions for each day. Where will you be staying, south or west?

SUP rentals are every where now.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

We are staying at Kapalua...

Maui
Level Contributor
73,857 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

By Christmas, the north shore (Kapalua) and northwest (Napili) MAY be too high/strong currents for beginner paddleboarding. Ka'anapali will prob be great, though.

Take a look at Maui Waveriders and Goofy Foot.

Haiku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

If you want to ride waves than Ukumehame or Laniupoko or Puamana Beach parks will be best, if you want to just paddle around and get some exercise you can literally launch from any easy access and paddle anywhere, thats the beauty of Stand Up Paddling, the mobility, although winds can pick up or shift dramatically and turn your paddle into a nightmare so check weather reports before going in. Downwind is always easiest and no wind will make for the best wave riding and paddling I would suggest sticking to other areas where there are beginners and lifeguards if possible, (some of the best beaches on Maui have no lifeguards and are perfectly safe under the right conditions) ask a local politely if in doubt and take a lesson, you'll gain insight that you cant get on your own.

LA
Level Contributor
11,517 posts
1 review
5. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

I'd make sure and take a lesson so that you can get information on recommended places and etiquette. I've seen Laniupoko when it looked like wall to wall SUP's.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to wait and see what the weather looks like....I was really hoping to do Kapalua Bay and other bays close by??? Sounds like the winter trade winds will be too much for that :(......This will be my first time to visit Maui for Christmas. Any thoughts on that?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
53,550 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

It's really not winter trade winds that will be the problem but the wave swells and large surf that comes in the winter from storms way out in the Pacific.

Christmas on Maui is magical. Make sure you go to Lahaina to see the banyan tree all lit up!!

Maui
Level Contributor
73,857 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

I strongly discourage you from jumping the lanes at Laniupoko, Guardrails, Ukes, or Puamana. It will cause ill will and you could endanger yourself or someone else. Paddle boards are big--and heavy. If you are out and 'over your head' so to speak-your board could easily injure you or cause someone else injury.

You could also end up halfway to Moloka'i (from Napili or Kapalua), or to Lana'i or Kaho'o'lawe(from the West).

Our rescue teams-and many locals-end up rescuing more and more SUP amateurs year round now. It happens on every shoreline, almost daily down south lately-and the same last winter up at Napili.

Surf etiquette isn't just about manners. It has its roots in safety, and is best learned from a lesson for visitors.

9. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 29, 2014