We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
perth
13 posts
Save Topic
Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

Advise on best beachfront hotel please! Traveling with two children (5 and 6), in April next year for 5 nights, I would like luxury if possible with pool suitable for kids. Don't need condo style as i don't plan on cooking but would like to be near restaurants cafes etc.. Any advise would be appreciated, budget up to 500 per night, cheers!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

Look at the Sheraton, the Hyatt and the Westin on Kaanapali Beach.

Nobody will force you to cook in a condo and the extra space, washer/dryer and fridge for snacks and quick drinks can make a huge difference. The Whaler and Kaanapli Alii are both condos with access to the same shops and restaurants as the hotels.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

Agree with mama on the hotels.

And on the condo...you don't have to do anything you don't want to but you might appreciate a separate bedroom. Honda Kai and Westin Villas are condo-tels with great pools and such. Not on the man part of Kaanapali beach but plenty around.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,688 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

I agree with Mamma and Konagirl........def look at condos. Honua Kai would prob be my first choice.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

You've posted on the Lahaina forum. Most of the hotels and condos in the area have Lahaina 'addresses', but are actually in Kaanapali. The Honua Kai is quite new, with large condos -- 600 units. It's a condo-tel.

Maui's top hotels are all in Wailea with the exception of The Ritz in Kapalua. Each of those areas also has lovely condos. (Most of us on the forum would prefer the greater space and privacy of a condo to sharing a single bedroom and bath with kids.)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,337 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

If you want a resort on Ka'anapali ... with preschool kids ... I would go to the Hyatt. The Sheraton Maui is wonderful - but it doesn't cater to kids. I never recommend the Westin Resort and Spa.

The Hyatt has a great kids' pool, kids' club and activities on-site.

If you decide on a resort condo - the Westin Villas and Honua Kai are both good choices - but don't offer the array of activities that the Hyatt does.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Scroll down and click on the properties of interest, and you'll see aerial views. I generally disregard the commentary on this website.

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Here's a rough map of the Ka'anapali Resort area. As mentioned above, there are only a few accomodations in Lahaina Town. The vast majority of resorts and condos are north of Lahaina ... but may share a Lahaina address.

http://maui.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

One more thing - AAA often has great offers for the Hyatt.

Edited: 12:53 pm, August 03, 2013
California
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

We just got home from the Grand Wailea. We stayed in a condo (Ekahi) for 8 nights because we wanted the extra space and moved to the Grand Wailea for our last two nights. Our 5 and 9 yr olds LOVED the Grand Wailea! It has a beautiful beach and fabulous pools with water slides, lazy river, and even a water elevator. We walked over to the Shops of Wailea for dinners. There is Tommy Bahamas, Longhi's, Ruth's Chris, and Cheesburger Island Style. The Grand Wailea has several restaurants too but we did not eat there.

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

Glad you enjoyed The Grand Wailea, my daughter honeymooned there for a week this past April. The Honua Kai is great for a family, even if you don't want to cook on your trip. The units are gorgeous and spacious and there is Duke's restaurant on-site which offers poolside food and beverage service.

Enjoy your time on Maui! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

Check out the Fairmont. All the rooms are suites with a separate living area, it would be very comfortable

for a family of four. The beach is nice and great pools with slides for the kids . Lots of restaurants on site and near by. Watch for good deals, sometimes they have specials. We stayed for under $400 per night and that included their delicious breakfast buffet everyday. They have coffee in the suites and a small refrigerator for snacks and drinks!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
221 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

We have 4 kids and I have stayed at many locations around Maui. At that age I think you have it right to want a big pool and access to Whaler's Village. With kids it's nice to go get ice cream, kid's shopping, casual beachfront dining, fast food, entertainment is great.

For a hotel on Kaanapali beach I think the Westin is great. It is right next to Whaler's Village so you can pop over anytime and get food, fast food, ice cream etc. The issues with the Westin is all the pools are 42" deep and there is no kiddie pool. There is also no real hot tub for kids. They have the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not having one but I have not stayed there many times because of this. It can get cold on Maui if you catch a windy day. Also if you stay there make sure you are in the Beach Tower not the Ocean Tower. The rooms are much better. The restaurants are OK but you are literally a 2 minute walk from all the restaurants in Whaler's Village.

The Sheraton is a nice place with great views and walkable to Whaler's Village but a bit further than the Westin the opposite direction. The beach is great and you can snorkel right there. The pool is pretty big but doesn't have the big waterslides of the Westin and Hyatt. It is also not as nice. But I really do like this place but the kids can get a little bored with the pools. Shade with the reasonably priced cabanas is easy to come by.

The Hyatt has great pools but is a long walk to Whaler's Village with a 5 and 6 year old and there is very little beach. Also very little shade. With kids that little unless you want to be hotel bound I'd give it some serious thought. Probably a 10 minute+ walk.

Nobody mentioned the Marriott Maui Ocean Club. It is between the Kaanapali Alii and the Hyatt. It is walkable but a little further to Whaler's Village (Depends on which tower you are in) and has a beach on the north side of the property. It is a confusing place on the surface as it is a Marriott Vacation Club timshare. The Napili and Lahaina Towers are newer condo style and very nice. Napili is the closest to Whaler's Village. The other towers are the old Marriott hotel that have been converted with kitchenettes but some have great views but not great rooms. The pool area is very nice with 1 big slide an a pirate ship pool. I would put the pool a step below the Westin and Hyatt but still great. It has a market, pool service, and restaurant on site. It can be tricky to get a room here because of the timeshare. I will say the Marriott does have great ongoing kid's activities throughout the day.

The Westin Villas and Honua Kai are very nice condo hotels but way too far from Whaler's Village for me to even consider it with small kids. You would have to drive or catch a shuttle. As you can tell I get a little restless sitting at the same hotel for too long and like options to get out and about.

Wailea is a much quieter more upscale place. I personally like Kaanapali better as you have easy access to everything and Lahaina. My wife prefers the quieter more upscale nature of Wailea.

The Grand Wailea is fantastic. However the GW can get VERY crowded and it can be annoying when it is. This is my kids favorite hotel on the island one of the nicest hotel pools ever. It would be great with your 5 and 6 year old. The Shops at Wailea are similar to Whaler's Village but with no views, no real casual dining (Except Cheeseburger Island Style) and probably just a bit too far to walk with kids but literally a 2 minute car ride. However depending on your March dates I would ask the reservation clerk about crowds. Also note that everything at the GW is spendy. Last time I was there cabanas were like $250/day. One little trick I discovered was to walk over the Four Seasons to eat. The restaurants are better and Duo really caters to kids.

Fairmont is nice. I've only stayed in the Villas. Pool is good but not great but it is just a little isolated. Definitely a great hotel but honestly since my kids have stayed at the GW, Westin, Marriott, and Hyatt they say it's pool is not up to those.

Never stayed at the Marriott Wailea. It is a regular hotel and close to the Shops but really have no insight into it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beachfront hotel 4 or 5 star

Also recommend Grand Wailea. My children love the hotel.