We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

Only Mokulele serving JHM as of 6/1/13

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

How sad.... Go!Mokulele is one of the least reliable and has one of the worst on-time records.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

rats, nuts, and phooey. Every flight I can recall from HNL to JHM has been full. So what is Island Air planning to do with the capacity? Do they intend to compete with Hawaiian to OGG, when Hawaiian's planes are bigger and faster and more frequent? Mokulele's planes are too small to handle the traffic. I thought that Ellison taking over the airline would IMPROVE service.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

That was part of the deal.....your flights were always full......so Island Air decided to get rid of its stinky old planes and get new nice bigger ones....but the runway at JHM is TOO SHORT for them.....Uh Oh.....so aloha JHM and e komo mai OGG. Online search Honolulu Star Advertiser, khon, kgmb, khnl, kitv, etc.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

Island air is phasing out the dash aircraft, the new ATR cannot takeoff on the short runway at Kapalua. As expected Ellison is increasing service to Lanai (7 flights to HNL this summer, 2 flights between OGG and Lanai).

Mokulele has been a separate company from Go for over a year now. They have nothing to do with each other anymore. Mokulele's service and reliability is much improved. They are increasing service between HNL and JHM to 7-8 flights...this will help with Island air pulling out. Only downside is that Mokulele flies small 9 passenger aircraft.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

What are you talking about? I've NEVER waited 3 hours for a flight on Mokulele - unlike Island Air. I've actually had more ontime flights with Mokulele than probably by main airline - Alaska Airlines. Go!, on the other hand... different airline. Yes, the shared a name for a bit. But Mokulele has never had *horrible* service like on Island Air.

yesterday my flight to Molokai was running about 30 minutes late due to weather (well, everything was late). Island Air - 2 hours.

So take your pick....

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

JHM is always getting weather delays in the rainy season, no matter who you're flying.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,090 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

Aloha,

I heard this a few days ago, and went into a funk. I have flown IA for years out of Kapalua and will miss it terribly!

8. Re: Island Air Pulling Out Of JHM (Kapalua)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 26, 2014