We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

I know that Mapquest/Google Maps will give an estimate on how long this trip will take, I was hoping for some real world experience. We are going for sunrise. Yes, I realize this has been asked ad nauseum, sorry. I wonder sometimes how people who have been on this board for years and years handle the constant asking of the same questions ;-) Thanks in advance!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

I found google map's time pretty accurate when we drove to the summit ... but adding 1/2 hour to get a parking spot and a bit more time in case of slow drivers ahead of you is worthwhile. The previous threads that you mention have some great tips on timing, things to bring, what to do while waiting, etc. etc.

Enjoy!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

Google Maps says 1hr 59 mins via Pulehu road, and 1hr 56 mins via hwy 37. Any one route better than another?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,094 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

Aloha,

Don't take Pulehu Road, you may end up lost-esp. in the dark.

Just take the main highway to Kahului and then the Hana/Haleakala highway to the main "new" Haleakala highway.

I would allow about 2 1/2 hours, partially so you reach the summit before sunrise.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

perfect, thanks SW!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,094 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

You're welcome!! Don't forget a sweatshirt or jacket.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

I am bringing that and more! All about layers, grew up in upstate NY, I think I am ready. Also planning on raiding blankets from the condo :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

Since I'm one for being on time, I wouldn't leave Lahaina any later than 3 hours before the sunrise. That way I'm guaranteed not to miss it. Glad you are prepared for the cold. If the wind blows it will be very chilly!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

Simonki.......be especially careful about google map directions in upcountry! We had our daughter and her BF in the back seat, while we were semi lost, in upcountry. They google mapped directions to Kula Lodge and I at least knew enough to know that going their way would be all bad! The kids were a bit miffed that I wasn't willing to rely on the iPhone and I found my way to the restaurant just fine.........by remembering how I had done it earlier in the week!

I get confused in upcountry and the numbers of all the roads don't make sense to me. Have fun! It sounds as though you're leaving for Maui soon......hoping for a trip report! Deb

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

We had more troubles with our GPS than with Google Maps on Maui.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel time from Lahaina Shores to Haleakala summit?

Deb, trip report definitely! And now that I think of it, I think it was Google Maps that, when I was looking for directions from Hana back to Lahaina, it actually had me go on the "back road"!