We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Lahaina area

Fresno, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Lahaina area

I will be traveling with my husband, three children (13, 11, and 8), my in-laws and sis in law (30ish). I want to stay where there are activities for our kids since this is their first trip. My kiddos are swimmers and want to be close to the ocean and have a pool. My mother in law would like to be in more of a condo type room with a kitchen, ocean view, no high rise, etc. I would prefer we have separate rooms next to each other. I love the Lahaina area and want my kids to experience as much of Hawaii as possible in ten days. We are traveling in mid June. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Check out the condo/tels on North Kaanapali, close to Lahaina. Honua Kai, Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas and the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas for starters. Also take a look at www.chasenrainbows.com for other westside condos, just be warned that many may not have the pools or beach the young ones want.

I would also get busy on this, rent your cars as soon as you have flights and lodging nailed down...lots of family travel in mid June!

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Maui Ka'anapali Villas sounds like a decent recommendation for you. My 1st inclination was to say Honua Kai, but the "no high-rises" criterion kind of excludes that from a contender. Not guessing you want someplace *actually* in Lahaina-proper, as there is very limited beach activity for properties in this area, perhaps with the exception of the very nice, but fairly pricey Puunoa Beach Estates, that's directly on Baby beach in Lahaina(?)

http://www.puunoabeachestates.com/

Papakea is also nice, but although ocean-front, it's on a sea wall & not the best place for the young'uns. Ka'anapali Shores is an option with direct beach access, but a bit of a larger property. Are you opposed to Napili? I think that is where you really belong, and it's just a short ride north of Lahaina / Ka'anapali. Low-rises, with direct beach access, like Napili Kai seem the perfect fit for your group.

Alo)(a, NKO

Fresno, California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Thank you so much for your quick response.

Fresno, California
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Thank you MauiNOKaOi I am totally open. It's been 20+ years since I have been to Hawaii. I just know I want to see the basic area. The kids, in laws and I seem to want different things :) I wasn't sure he easy it would be to find them all in one place. I looked at Napili Pt and Napili Shores. I also looked at the Marriott and Hyatt for kids. It seems like our best option might be a condo with ocean view and then search on our own for other activities that a larger hotel would offer, like luaus, lei making classes, etc. I guess the kids don't need a fabulous pool right?

Thanks again.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Well I can tell you that the three I mentioned first all offer a great beach, wonderful pools AND activities for the kids. Yes it does sound like you want ocean access.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Yes, as mama indicated -- you certainly can get all you desire at one amazing property, with the only *slight* issue being your aversion to high-rises, which can be defined quite differently by differing standards. A favorite here amongst the forum regulars is the Honua Kai, which mama also recommended. The (two separate) buildings have 10-stories at their highest point, but digress in floors in the direction of the ocean to offer more / better view options.

I really feel most folks with an aversion to larger properties get over that relatively quickly when booking/staying here, as this property really offers the best of several worlds -- hotel/condo/beach amazing pools etc. The summer time can be crowded at larger properties, as can some of the more popular beaches, but there are always more sparsely populated areas a short drive away when an escape from crowds is necessary or on the agenda! ;)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

No kai Oi, after spending almost a week on Waikiki last month I got a HUGE dose of the difference between what folks call "High-rise"...26th floor wedding on Waikiki...verses 6-8-10 floors on Maui!

"High-rise" is a perception and can cause confusion if you've never visited!

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Not even going to mention the Burj & it's 160 stories..

oh...wait a minute.. (? ;)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

That thing is gonna fall over! HA

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Lahaina area

Honua Kai is a fairly new condo complex that is oceanfront. We loved our time there, feel free to ask any questions. We had a 2 bedroom unit in the Konea Tower. :).