We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala/Road to Hana help

Kingsport, TN
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Haleakala/Road to Hana help

Ok guys, please set this confused traveler on the right path.

If staying in Kanaapali and driving up to Haleakala for the sunrise, you take hwy 37-377-378 to the summit ...which is different from the Road to Hana which is hwy 360. (we incorrectly assumed the Hana hwy led to the summit). SO, if planning to see both ...it needs to be on different days, right? Maybe we need to extend our vacation to get all of this in!! Ha, ha! Well, it was a good try!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala/Road to Hana help

I would say it definately needs to be on two different days. It took us two full days to see all the sights on the road to Hana alone.

You will have to leave early in the morning to see the sunrise, so if you are not planning on bike riding down, you will be done fairly early, so you will have most of the day to do other things with your trip. However, I don't think this would be the right day for Hana, because it too deserves an early start. We left for Hana about 7:00 a.m.

Kingsport, TN
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala/Road to Hana help

Thanks for your advice. We will definitely do these on 2 separate days. I feel better about getting back to the Kanaapali area and relaxing after the early outing for the Haleakala sunrise. We can enjoy the Road to Hana another day. Thanks again for clarifying this for us.

Kauai & Mainland
Level Contributor
954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala/Road to Hana help

I one plan one whole day for Haleakala (especially if you get up for sunrise) and/or do any hiking at the summit (highly recommended).

I would plan a whole day for just the road to hana, and another day for the beyond drive if you can make time for it.

I'd also give yourself at the very least a full day to explore most of East Maui, Iao Valley, etc.

Consider a guidebook like Maui mile by mile or Maui revealed for both drives especially. They'll help you know which stops are worth your time and exactly where/when to stop.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala/Road to Hana help

As the last poster stated, the drive past Hana is just about the right spot to start the second days trip. That is...if you plan to use a guide book like Maui Revealed and stop at many mile markers, hike, and enjoy all th road has to offer. We ended our first day at the Blue Pool. The second day that we went, we drove straight through all the way to the Blue Pool and then picked up from there.

But I think you've got the right idea about the sunrise day. Going back to the beach and relaxing for the rest of the day will be exactly what you want after that very early morning adventure! Have fun.

manitoba
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala/Road to Hana help

Just returned from maui on may 5 and due to little time we did the summit at sunrise and road to hana and beyond in one day. It was a 14 hour day but was worth it. However we only drove up the crater to see the sunset( left our hotel at 3:30 in the morning( we are from canada so a 5 hour time difference helped). We spent about an hour up there and stopped at one other lookout point and found ourselves at the bottom around 6:30 so what the heck decided to do the road to hana on the same day. Now we might not have seen everything on the trip and we did not do any long hikes but we saw plenty of beautiful things and stopped quite often. We high tailed it on the return way which really helped. so if you are short on time it can be done and i don't think you'll feel like you missed anything.