We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are rental cars so expensive?

seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Why are rental cars so expensive?

I have stayed on Maui numerous times and have always paid around $400 for a two rental of a full sized car. The price seems to be a couple of hundred dollars more this year. Anyone know the reason or where I can get a cheaper rental?

Wa
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

I have an economy rental through AAA for $160 at the end of Feb. it started at $300 and kept going down.

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

How many days is that rate for, Cherylid89? Also, how did you book it - online with AAA?

Wa
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

AAA.com then click on travel. Ours is for 9 days. When I booked it, I kept looking online and checking the rates until I saw the $164.

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

Thanks, cherylid89, I'll check it out!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

Try www.rentalcodes.com/hawaii.html too. Sometimes they come up with cheaper rates, sometimes not. Like the others said check around.

seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

Thanks for all the input. Prices have started to come down. Now I just wish the hotel prices will start to come down.

Chicago
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

Book your car in Lahaina and not at the airport. It is much cheaper, but you will have to spring for a taxi from the airport to Lahaina. The price you get on the car will be half off.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,933 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

If you book your rental car in Lahaina you're going to have to pay cab fare to/from the airport on both ends of the rental. My best guess is that it will either be a wash with booking at the airport, or booking at the airport will be cheaper overall. Taxis are not cheap on Maui.

queensland Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

We are arriving on the 5.5.2013 with a cruise ship from Australia and i booked a car with discoundhawaiiencarrentals ,via the internet.

They quoted me $65 US for the day including all ful Incurances .

I booked the car (middel clas ) and to my supries ,when they send me my conformation ,they informd me that they managed to get the car $10us cheeper than my original quot ,the car is from Alamo ,and they will have a chattel bus from and to Lahaina .

I think it was quiet nice that they informd us about the discounted price ,becaus i would have hapily payd the price quoted .

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,933 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Why are rental cars so expensive?

DHCR seems to be one of those well- and thoughtully-run companies that you almost never encounter.