We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid safe whale watch....let me explain...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kid safe whale watch....let me explain...

Hi! Our family is traveling to Maui early March. We can't wait to do my favorite activity - Whale watching! In our family are two toddlers (one is 1 1/2 - she are not taking her on whale watch because we think that she will not enjoy....won't really know what whales are, etc.). But we would like to take the 4 year old. We think he will be so excited to see whales.

Here's the question. We are a little worried about doing one of the cats that come up on the beach. Might be a little tricky getting him up the stairs, etc. We can go out of Lahaina Harbor, but want to chose a boat/cat that has sides where a young child cannot slip through by accident and fall into the water. Am I making sense? Can anyone recommend something for us? Thanks in advance!

Ultimate Whale Watch & Snorkel
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Sail Maui
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Hawaii Ocean Rafting
Scuba & Snorkeling, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Makai Adventures
Private Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid safe whale watch....let me explain...

We went with Pacific Whale Foundation the last two years (my son was 2 the first time, 3 the second) and it was great. We did go out of Ma'alaea, but by the looks of their website I think they have similar boats going from each harbor.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid safe whale watch....let me explain...

We'll take a look at their website. Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,866 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kid safe whale watch....let me explain...

I don't recommend the Pacific Whale Foundation boats for anyone, let alone kids. They do have some smaller tours now but the boats there are used for most of the whale watch tours are huge. They can take hundreds of people at a time. Last time I was on one, the kids were overwhelmed with the amount of adults standing at the rails to get a look at the whales. Some adults are oblivious when it comes to kids.

Do take a tour that leaves from Lahaina Harbor. Trilogy is excellent when it comes to kids.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kid safe whale watch....let me explain...

Totally agree with msfuzz.

Hawaii Ocean Project (catamaran: Kaulana) is another good one with kids. Book online and check in at the top of the harbor, near the lighthouse. And I would recommend the lower deck for kids. There's better viewing and a large cabin if they need to get out of the sun.

5. Re: Kid safe whale watch....let me explain...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 22, 2014