We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kannapali with no car

Huntley, IL
Level Contributor
85 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Kannapali with no car

Hi. My husband and I are goig to Kannapali Beach in January for a couple weeks -- we know there is a walkway and do not wish to rent a car -- I have heard about a trolly -- is this transportation sufficient? If we want to rent a car for church or day trips, is there a place on Kannapali Beach to do this without going back to the airport? Also is there a good shuttle service fromt he airport? We are going to stay at Kannapali Beach Hotel. Mahao. We have nto been to Mai since 1999 so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,426 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kannapali with no car

I really would urge you to rent a car for the entire stay...there is just so much to enjoy on Maui!

There is a limited free trolley within the resort area and there is bus service available. However the bus is neither quick nor really convienient for touring the island.

There are rental cars available on the west side so no need to back to the airport but daily rentals can really add up.

Check speedishuttle.com and executive shuttle for airport transport.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,015 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kannapali with no car

Here's a shuttle schedule from 2010:

mauikaanapalivillas.org/HOA/assn229/images/k… Since you mention that you'll be using the beach walk, you might not find the shuttle that useful since the places that it goes to are all within about a 20 minute walk in either direction from your hotel.

There is a car rental location that services JHM airport, about a mile north of where you're staying (across from Honua Kai) with limited hours ... I think 8-4 or 9-5.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kannapali with no car

Since you will be there for 2 weeks, a week rental might be less than a couple of days. You might want to price both. Then you could explore for those days and try some of the tasty restaurants that aren't on the shuttle/trolley service lines. Maui has had many changes since 1999. The Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alaea is well worth the visit.

Calgary
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kannapali with no car

I would suggest atleast rent a car for part of your stay, if you can get one through Alamo they have a shop in Kaanapali. You could pick up from the airport and drop off there. Get one for the first 3 days of your trip and last 4 days to take you back to the airport. We have friends that stay in the Kaanapali Villas and they do this all the time. They also tend to stay at there resort alot.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kannapali with no car

"I have heard about a trolley-is this transportation sufficient?"

Honestly....no, just like the above posters said. There is so much to see, do and enjoy on Maui, but without a car you are confining yourself to such a limited area. There is such flexibility and joy in being able to explore this beautiful island in your own vehicle and the driving is so stress free, relaxing and easy.

I guess when I saw the wonderful length of time you have on Maui, it just hit me that it would be a shame to only ride a trolley everywhere. You have two glorious weeks to rediscover the island of Maui at your own leisurely pace and the use if a rental car will expand your horizons 100%! JMHO.....enjoy planning your trip! Deb

Seattle area
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kannapali with no car

I agree with everyone above about the value of renting a car while on Maui (probably over 90% of visitors do so)…BUT:

You can still have a good time in Kaanapali without a car, and you will save a lot of money over two weeks if you don’t rent one at all. [Given the late date for your January stay, availability is likely to be very low at this point…and prices possibly extra high. If you wait until you are here in January, I would expect that short-term car rentals might be non-existent, at any price.]

Addressing JUST your wish for Sunday church, the Kaanapali Beach Hotel used to post a small sign on Sunday mornings about church services, but I don’t know if that still happens. You should call the KBH directly and ask (or email them, via their website regarding “guest services”). I do know that every Sunday the nearby Leilani’s restaurant conducts a well attended service from 8-10am: This restaurant is a five minute walk from the KBH, and the seating at church services is always full.

I know several friends that stay in Kaanapali and rent cars for just a few days, primarily for sightseeing, but they REALLY enjoy walking into Lahaina for shopping and dining, and taking the local Maui Bus back (= $2 per person one way). That walk is about 45 minutes (versus about 7 minutes driving), and likely to leave you sweaty, however. One of those sets of friends literally walks one mile NORTH to the local car rental site to pick up their vehicle; they will also walk about a half-mile farther than that to the Times supermarket (when without a car), for grocery shopping. You can easily reach the car rental and supermarket by walking along the paved Kaanapali Walkway, going from the KBH and past the Sheraton, and walking as far as the Honua Kai resort: The walk is gorgeous all along the ocean.

You can certainly enjoy most of a weeklong stay in Kaanapali at a hotel without a car, but I too recommend renting a car for sightseeing (and a change of pace from Kaanapali) over your planned two week stay. Whenever you have a car is also a good time to plan to drive for dining in Lahaina, or elsewhere on Maui.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kannapali with no car

It is difficult for me to fathom 2 weeks on Ka'anapali without a car. Would you tell us why? Some posters have travel experience in Mexico and/or the Caribbean - so they are hesitant to drive in Hawaii ... but Hawaii isn't like Mexico or the Caribbean.

As mentioned above, the shuttle service is private, there is a public bus.

In January, it would not be wise to think you can grab a car at the spur of the moment. Maui can and does run out of rental cars. And renting by the week is generally more cost-effective than by the day.

There is SO much to see and do on Maui. And you will want to be spontaneous and try restaurants or other activities - as well as the natural wonders and historic sites.

Please reconsider the car. And one more thing: It can be hot. And it can rain. Getting around in either is MUCH better in a car.

If you do want a car - reserve it pronto.

Edited: 1:06 pm, December 05, 2012
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,015 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kannapali with no car

If you do decide to rent for just a few days, suggest checking with Enterprise as they have a location at the Sheraton (next door to your hotel). It would save the walk down and back to the rental location across from Honua Kai. But I would make reservation(s) now ... you'll likely get a better price booking now, and can easily cancel if you don't need the reservation.

There's a link to Enterprise's site here (use JHM for rental location): maui.sheratoneplanner.com/Default.aspx…

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,905 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kannapali with no car

I'm with BLBL, I just can't understand having so much time on the island and not renting a car. Kaanapali with no car is nice for a few days but after that I would want to get out and explore the island. So much more to Maui than Kaanapali. By the time you pay for shuttles, tours etc. you could have rented a car. Think about it, won't you, at least for a week?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kannapali with no car

Aloha,

If you decide to rent a car, know that ALL the agencies have rentals on the West side. Use this:

http://discounthawaiicarrental.com/ and make sure you pick the West Maui pickups, give them your hotel location. They will pick you up and drop you off.

A car is better-for at least part of your trip.