We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in Maui,HI

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling in Maui,HI

Looking for snorkeling companies with trip to Molokini.Any suggestions? Do you need wet suits?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

Trilogy is top notch when it comes to snorkeling tours. I use a shorty wet-suit so I can stay in the water for a long time. Others don't need one.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

I don't ever use a wet suit...I don't usually have a problem staying in the water, but even if you did, you don't have that much snorkel time overall (i.e., you aren't out there for hours on a boat trip b/c there is usually a stop at the front of molokini, one behind, and maybe a third to see turtles.

Trilogy is very good. You might consider where you are staying when you book a trip. There's a boat that leaves out of Makena if you're staying down south (Kai Kanani, I think ...) and some leave out of Maalaea (maybe Trilogy?)

Not sure whether they leave out of West Maui for Molokini.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

There are no boats that leave from west Maui to go to Molokini. There is a Trilogy boat that leaves from Maalaea, where most of them in south Maui leave from.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,179 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

Aloha,

There is one boat that leaves from Lahaina for Molokini--but I don't rec it. It is one of Pacific Whale's cattle boats.

If you are stuck on doing a Molokini trip, consider Trilogy, Paragon, maybe Four Winds.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

Vicki -

Most of the boats will rent you a shortie wet suit top for about $5. I have decided it's a lot more fun to snorkel without getting chilled after a while so I rent one for my whole trip now. Whether or not you need one depends on your cold sensitivity.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,015 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

I can just barely tolerate the winter temps off Maui. I've recorded temps of 74 and 75 consistently on my dive computer. I never wear a wet suit and I can generally tolerate cold, but that's too cold for me so it's too cold for you. Wear a shorty if you want to be in the water more than just a few minutes.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

I have a long sleeve 3mm top and separate bottoms that I wear when we travel to Hawaii in the winter. In the summer I only wear the top. Your tour group will rent them to you and local shops will have weekly rentals if you plan on snorkeling on your own. We generally use Pacific Whale foundations small boat tours.

alberta
Level Contributor
229 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

I also recommend Pacific Whale Foundation. We've taken a few with tours with them. A couple of years ago we did the Molokini snorkeling tour and we chose it because it was one of the earliest boats to arrive at Molokini in the morning. I was very glad we chose it because by the time we left there it was packed with boats and snorkelers. Taking that particular tour allowed us some there to enjoy it before the area got too crowded.

The last time I mentioned Pacific Whale Foundation in a thread, somebody took exception to it. The poster did not like me recommending that particular company. He/she didn't really provide full details, but didn't like something about that organization. I don't know the particulars and if there is any merit to it. All I can tell you is that they run excellent tours, the cost is competitive and we really enjoyed them.

Edited: 3:14 pm, November 28, 2012
arkansas
Level Contributor
453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

You didn't say when you were going but some assumed it was during the winter. If it is, you should wait until you are on island to book a snorkel tour due to weather changes. We learned the hard way by booking the Molokini snorkel trip in advance: Our trip was very choppy and the snorkeling was difficult because of a north wind. If we had waited a couple of days the conditions would have been perfect :-(

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling in Maui,HI

i would also highly recommend trilogy. we had a blast on their lana'i excursion.