We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling excursion question

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling excursion question

I wouldl ove to take a snorkeling tour in a catamaran or sail boat, so I can get to see more fishes/sea turtles etc. HOWEVER, my dear husband has a bit of open water phobia.

When you go to these excursions, do you snorkel in areas where your feet cannot touch the ground? I think that was his limiting factor.

Have you gone with ppl who are afraid of open water? how do they react?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkeling excursion question

Only afraid when he needs to swim in open water... I have a hard time understanding this feat, not sure if life vest can help the fear?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkeling excursion question

Hi again! It would not be a life vest, more like a belt... and he needs to know, the the crew that are on these tours are wonderful with the "clients". They are actually IN the water with you, even the Trilogy crew when snorkeling from shore on the island of Lanai.

But like VCSnowbird says, there are some amazing spots for snorkeling, right from shore. It doesn't matter if you are staying in Kihei area in South Maui, or anywhere in Ka'anapali area in West Maui, there are LOTS of great places for snorkeling from shore.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkeling excursion question

Take the boat tour! Your husband can stay on the boat if he wants to. He should enjoy the sailing. He might decide to get in with a float belt and/or a boogie board strapped to his wrist. He can stop and rest on the board any time. The boat crew can be very helpful if you let them know he's uncomfortable. My husband isn't so comfortable in the water either, but he will come out and snorkel with me for a bit then head back while I stay out until the last possible minute.

Snorkeling in shallow water can be pretty tricky. You do NOT want to stand on the coral or even brush against it. On our last trip I talked Mr. S into shore snorkeling with me. On the second day he got into a shallow area and got a little nervous and ended up scraping his leg on the coral quite badly. After that he watched from the beach each morning as I snorkeled. Even though he's not a happy swimmer he loves the sailing on the snorkel tours. I hope you get to try it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorkeling excursion question

I hope he will agree to do it.... I wouldn't go if he doesn't want to go, but I felt like it will such a waste...

To me it's alot easier to snorkel out in the deep area, but I don't quite comprehend the fear of open water so it maybe difficult

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,070 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorkeling excursion question

Since his fear is just swimming in the open ocean, then take him along and let him just enjoy the ride. It's wonderful out there on a boat, good scenery, companionship, food etc. First snorkel boat I ever went on I didn't snorkel and had a fabulous time talking to the captain and doing the above. Also got to drink before anyone else as they were still snorkeling!!

Aloha J0an, always a wonderful day here in paradise, thanks for asking!!

Edited: 8:21 pm, June 18, 2012
16. Re: Snorkeling excursion question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 20, 2013