We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton or Honua Kai

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
J G
Scottsdale, Arizona
9 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton or Honua Kai

Hi, I would like some advice on selecting either one of these 2 places to stay for our family vacation. I have a 9 and 15 year old. The youngest one loves being mostly in the pools and the oldest one loves snorkeling and boogie boarding.

Also, which hotel has a sandy beef where you do not have to worry about wearing reef shoes?

Alternatively, would staying in Wailea a better choice than being in Lahaina?

Thank you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

I inquired about Cabanas and daybeds at HK, and they can indeed be reserved for poolside lounging. The person I talked to said they rent chairs for the beach to. There is a little hut near the beach that does all of this. The condo that I rented thru VRBO at HK has a beach umbrella, chairs, cooler, beach towels, boogie boards, etc. Take a look at VRBO before booking directly thru HK.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,928 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

i think it depends partly on how long you are going for, 6 nights or less I'd go for the Sheraton, 7 nights or more a condo.

A lot of people like condos for being able to do your own meals, which is an advantage especially on a longer stay as eating out gets old in a hurry, but the best feature of a condo is having a washing machine and dryer. You can pack about one third of the clothes you bring normally.

You won't find good boogie boarding at either location, you'd have to go to a beach with good waves, how good depends on how good a boogie boarder and swimmer your oldest is.

You might do a search on "what to pack" or "condo tips" because there are things that make life easier like bringing dryer sheets with you, rather than having to buy a whole box in Hawaii; bring your favorite spices in baggies, again so you don't have to buy full bottles in Hawaii; and baggies themselves in a variety of sizes are a good idea too.

Plan at stopping at Costco just outside the Maui airport so you can get items like water, soft drinks, beer, wine, and Costco has great Hawaiian food like lau lau, poke, saimin, lomi loi salmon, poi and Kalua pig. They also have great fresh fish and meats and a Costco chicken with some salads is a very easy arrival day meal if you think you might be tired.

But then again, Duke's is a great way to start a vacation.

J G
Scottsdale, Arizona
9 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

What condos in the Wailea area would you recommend? I was thinking of the Four Seasons but they are expensive.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

The best part about Honua Kai is that it is a "condo-tel" so you get the extra space of a condo but also all the amenities of a luxury hotel. With this option, you don't have to give up things you want to have a condo. There is poolside food/drink service and even room service that can be ordered and delivered to your condo (even if you rent through VRBO or a third party management company). If you book through a third party of VRBO you'll save off the resort direct rates, know exactly which unit your staying in, and often times get beach chairs, cooler, beach towels, and boogie boards in the room as well. It's perfect for heading down the road to DT Fleming beach park for the day for boogie boarding or Kapalua Bay for snorkeling (that is if you want to explore and not just snorkel right in front of Honua Kai).

J G
Scottsdale, Arizona
9 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

Do both the Sheraton and HK has a sandy beach where you do not need to worry about wearing reef shoes when swimming in the ocean? I read mixed reviews about this. Thank you.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

There are some rocks in the water in front of HK, but there are spots where you can enter the water without a problem. The beach at the Sheraton doesn't really have any rocks, so no shoes are required there either.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

JG - HK's beach has some rocks in the shallow water directly in front of the complex, but there is no problem going in just to the right of the complex (at the beach park) or to the left (beside the Westin). If you go in/come out right in front of HK, you would probably be better off with reef shoes ($15 at ABC stores). I wouldn't let this be a deal-breaker. We stay at the Mahana (next to HK) where the beach in front isn't swimmable ... we love swimming in the ocean, and go in at the beach between HK and Mahana. Once you are out a few feet, there's no issue with the rocks - you just want to try to come out at the same spot you went in if you don't have reef shoes on. We've often seen people swimming at various spots right in front of the complex.

Here's a promotional video which might help ... at about 1.5 min. there's a view/description of the beach. www.youtube.com/watch…

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

Sheraton - if it is all about the beach.

You have the active side of black rock , lots to do and see within walking distance.

Or the quiet side of black rock with a long stretch of sandy beach .

The Sheraton has both.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

I like this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownerconos.com

For beachfront in Wailea look at Wailea Beach Villas, Polo Beach Club, Wailea Ekahi and Elua. Above the beach: The Palms, Wailea Ekolu, Grand Champions.

For beachfront in South Kihei look at Hale Pau Hana, Kihei Surfside, Mana Kai Maui. Above the beach: Maui Kamaole, Kamaole Sands, Maui Banyan.

Wailea is more upscale than Kihei (or Lahaina). It's also convenient for sightseeing to Haleakala, Road to Hana, Iao Valley...and to OGG. You can easily take a daytrip up to Kapalua, stopping at Lahaina to browse.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
715 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Sheraton or Honua Kai

For a family of 4, having laundry facilities AND a kitchen to prepare some breakfasts and snacks is invaluable. HK has grills that will allow you to prepare an evening meal as well with some wonderful local fish available at Costco and nearby markets.

I would not rec that you split your stay (unless you have 10+ nights), pick one property and explore from there. A studio unit only has a "double" size pull out couch vs the 1BR's with a "Queen size sofa sleeper" too small IMO. If the children won't can't share a bed, then in between the 1BR and 2BR units is a 1BR with a den so the kids can each have their own sleeping accommodations. Let me know is your need help identifying the better units.

The ocean conditions at HK are quite variable as they are most places. We have seen it be very calm and flat and at other times the surfers are out there catching a nice ride. Above postings have been spot on about the rocks and entry points. Excellent snorkeling at both properties. Ka'anapali is much closer to Lahaina if that is important.

As ChiSue points out, Wailea is a great area for beach activities and it has upscale shopping at The Shops at Wailea, its closer to Molokini (check out Kai Kanani which leaves from Wailea).

http://www.kaikanani.com/