We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

My family will be making our first trip to Maui this May. What is the dress code for evenings in some of the nicer restaurants in Lahaina or the hotel restaurants? Can men wear nice shorts or are slacks accepatable? What do the women wear?

Thanks for your help.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

casual casual casual.... no swimming suits but nice shorts and an aloha shirt or similair for men and for woman anything from nice shorts to s pretty sundress or skirt.

Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

I usually wear a sundress or floaty skirt with flat sandals. Hubby wore nice shorts & a button shirt--he varied the type based on the restaurant. It's pretty laid back there.

I wouldn't go with cut-offs, though!

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

no cut offs! Shorts are good. Don't bring slacks, you won't need them.

PA
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

my husband usually wears nice shorts with flowered shirts or golf shirts, fine for nice dinners. for women i usually wear capris or the longer bermuda shorts with sandals. the men can wear sandals as well or i've even seen them with nice flip flop types, even in the nicer places.

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

Casual but Elegant. Resort wear perfect.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

I disagree about wearing slacks. My husband always wears pants and nice Aloha shirt. I often wear a floaty dress. Shorts are for the mall and the hiking trails.

Chicago...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

For dinner at nicer places I tend to prefer long pants. Shorts are usually acceptable, but even on vacation, it seems a bit ridiculous to have a great meal wearing shorts.

Further, for dining outside later in the evening, the long pants are a bit more comfortable. For early evening I am more inclined to wear shorts.

I usually wear long pants for most of the nicer places. Sansei: Shorts. Nick's: Long pants. Ferraro's: Usually long pants unless we are eating early.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

I think it's kind of a matter of how causal you are in general. I wear shorts everywhere. I don't think there are very many places that will kick you out in shorts. If it does, personally, that's not my kind of place. It's more a matter of don't than do's - no cut-offs, bathing suits, ratty tank-tops. Just about everything else is okay. If you are asking this question, you are probably going to be just fine:-)

PA
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

jojow: right on!

i have been in some pretty nice restaurants there with people thatlive at Maui and they have worn nice shorts and shirts. I think as long as you're dressed neatly it will be ok. Some men just don't feel comfortable in shorts, like my Grandpa.

Go with what you're comfortable with, you can always tuck a pair in the suitcase just in case you want to go a little more dressed......but I wouldn't take too many.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress Code for Dinner in Maui

Yes, take the lightest pants you own. I never wear jeans here. It's too hot. But I am also very sensitive to mosquitos (they love me), so I wear pants if I am eating outdoors at night.