We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

Yes, I know pathetic isnt it? But going in January 2007 (just addicted to Mexico & always go there)Anyways what are some of the things not to miss in Maui? We'll be there two weeks & I really don't know anything about things to do. If anyone has some suggestions I'd appreciate it. We love do most everything, so all is open. Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
michigan
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

First thing you NEED to do is pick up a copy of Maui Revealed at your local bookstore. Onc you pick this up, you will not put it down until you have finished the whole thing. I bet you will kick your Mexico addiction for Maui onc you've been there. Have fun planning.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

Hey thanks for the advice on the book, I'll stop & get it on my way home from work! Has anyone ever stayed at the Sands of Kahana? We'll be staying there in a 2 bedroom suite.Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sands of Kahana
Sands of Kahana
755 Reviews
Maui, HI
San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

islands- you are not alone. We are almost the same age and I am finally going, too! (and have barely been to Mexico!)

I second the idea of the Maui Revealed book. It was helpful in my trip planning. 24 more days!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Illinois
Level Contributor
952 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

I didn't get there until 39, and I wore a bikini on the beach for the first time. I'd never been anywhere warm enough before that. I worked hard to wear that bikini! It was worth it!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

My wife, myself and another couple all went for the first time last November. We were all 47 at the time!

Den

Kansas City
Level Contributor
103 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

Go to the Olivine Pools - read about them in Maui Revealed. They are fantastic!! Make sure you wear sturdy shoes and bring your camera - just gorgeous!

Mentioned in this post
Olivine Pools
Olivine Pools
126 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

You're going to have a blast! In terms of recommendations, you should do the Road to Hana. You can see some of our pictures from our 2000 and 2004 vacations with explanations here:

www.barefoot-in-maui.com/road-to-hana.html

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

Congrats!

Actually 43 is not that bad to finally get there. You've certainly got me beat. Though I spent a lot of my childhoon in Europe, I didn't get to my first tropical island until I was 45.

With 3 full weeks on Maui, you should have time to check out all the major sights (Haleakala, the Road to Hana, West and South Maui, the works) and even take a trip over to Molokai and/or Lana'i. Be sure and do a luau - it's a sure fire way to really feel like you are in Hawaii, and consider going to see Warren and Annabelles in Lahaina (book EARLY).

As others have mentioned, get the Maui Revealed book.

Ken

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Molokai
Molokai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

Untill my wife and I stared vacationing in Hawaii we also shared your love with Mexico. Once we started going to Maui we knew what true paradise was. It will truly get in your blood the Aloha Spirit is alive and well. We also have day tripped over to Oahu to See Pearl Harbor and USS Missouri and the Punch Bowl. This is a must for all history lovers, as a vet it held me spell bound.

I must disagree about Maui Reaveled. I have read it, but I (personnaly)disagree with a lot they have written about. Example: lack of respect for scared areas on the Island that are considered Kapu by native Hawaiian's.

The best information concernig Maui can be found at this we site www.mauihawaii.org. Hosted by long time vsiitor and owner there Jon and his wife Rosie. They pour all there love in to this and it is VERY ACCURATE.

Many Aloha's

W & J Fort Wayne, IN

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
bq
Albany, Georgia
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 43 & finally gonna go to Hawaii!!!

We are in our 50's and we are not going until April 23 of 2007. But I am busy planning the trip and I too bought the Maui Revealed, Frommers 2006 and Maui Mile By Mile. Plus I found my condo from a recommendation on this forum and have already booked it. It will be a long year, but it is fun planning and learning.

Anyone ever purchased their plane ticket from Atlanta to Maui through Pleasant Holidays? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii