We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Hello all, I am leaving for Hawaii April 30th Maui )5 nights),Kauaui (3ngihts), Oahu (3 nights 4 days)on a honeymoon trip. We have limited budget so trying to figure out which activity to select.

We really need some help with activities if any one would be kind enough to help. Below I have listed activitied according in order of what looks appealing:

1/Most importantly is it possible to find a HELICOPTER (not air plane) ride to see Big Island's active volcano, from Maui or Oahu? I am not visiting the Island of Hawaii on this visit but would love to see an active volcano.

Right now we are choosing between a 30 min. BI (volcano) OR Kaui(Napali/Waimea)heli. ride. The reason I prefer BI volcano helicopter ride is because I can always see Waimea Canyon /Napali coast vis boat ride.

2/Is the Zip line activity worth it? If so, which co. (from your experience) would you recommend?

3/For a non-swimmer like me and my husband a deep sea submarine adventure also seems appealing. But, I've read some reviews which make it seem boring. Is it worth it or should I do the zip line instead?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Well, I only did it with Princeville Ranch, so I can't really speak to other ops. But I chose them based on solid recs and research, and I had a blast with them. So, I'd highly recommend them on the North Shore. The guides were laid backed, experienced and very safety oriented. You do a training line first, which is the equivalent of a bunny slope, so they really make you feel comfortable before jumping in to the longer lines.

As I mentioned, there was one guy with us who was actually afraid of heights. I couldn't believe it! His girlfriend totally pressured him into the thing, and by the end of it he was practically Spiderman.

They have different length tours. I did the longest one. I think it was 3-4 hours. Definitely worth it, as you get a lot more lines.

As far as your back is concerned, it really doesn't sound like it's something that should deter you. I think if you have bad disk problems, or have had back surgery you might want to avoid it, but other than that...?

Go for it! You'll be very glad you did.

new jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

how far is Halekea volcano from hyatt hotel? how long of a drive? you said leave at 3am... what time is sunrise and sunset there in nove?

how do i get info on that boat tour you were talking about th Napail coast? the 20 dollar one? how long is the tour?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Ilovelost, Haleakala Crater is in Maui. I just want to make sure you know that, because your post was a little ambiguous, and you asked how far it was from the Hyatt which, is in Kaui. (Although, I'm sure there is one on Maui as well.)

On Maui, I stayed at the 4 Seasons (in Wailea) and left at 3am, and at the time sunrise started about 5:45am. The times vary a bit, but hotel staff will be able to give you the exact time for that day. I was told it would take over 2 hours and I made it in under 2. But, because the parking lot at the top can get crowded, and you'll want to secure a good vantage point I would give yourself the time.

For the record, in Kaui you should also check out Waimea Canyon, "the Grand Canyon of the Pacific". Hiking and views here are not to be beat.

Have fun!

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Hi again - sorry I haven't checked back on your post. I'm so glad you are doing the open door longer Kauai heli tour. You will love it!! If you qualify and are good at saying no, consider doing a timeshare presentation in Kauai - you may be able to get the heli tour 2 for 1. If money is an issue, it's worth the 2 hours to save so much money. Just remember - JUST SAY NO!!!

I thought I'd clarify your non-swimming position before my recommendation sends you off to drown in the Pacific. When you say you can't swim, do you mean you can't do traditional strokes or you can't even float and doggie paddle? Keep in mind that even with a life jacket you need to be able to move around by (mostly) kicking your legs and some arm movements. Otherwise you'll just float around off to anywhere. If you can float and move around a little, then I would try the snorkling. You may want to ask a question on the Oahu forum about the safest and shallowest place to snorkel. I believe they have some better protected spots than what I am aware of in Maui. You may want to be able to keep your feet on the sand (SAND - not rocks or coral)and just stick your head in the water. In the right place, you can still see fish this way. At the vert least, I think considering a snorkel tour may be the ebst bet in term of safety. Call a few places and tell them you are bascially non-swimmers and will wear vests but you want to know if they have ropes(which I really doubt) or at least how closely they will stick by you or help you. You may be in deeper water on a snorkel tour, but you will have people watching out for you more closely.

It sounds like a great trip - have a great time. And don't forget to check the Oahu forum. Oh, I didn't suggest that for Kauai because we found the snorkeling on Kauai not to be nearly as good. I think Oahu will be a better choice.

Oakdale, Connecticut
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

On Maui try a picnic snorkel sail on the Gemini (leaves from in front of the westin). They have the flotation belts and will cater to first timers and if you don't want to go in the water, just enjoy the sail. Great food and drinks included so deduct the cost of a meal from the trip for your budget!

new jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

yes there is a hyatt in maui on kananapi beach. how far is the H. volanco from there. i am trying to plan when to leave for sunrise.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Ah, you need to check a map. The Hawaiian Islands are FAR apart. 85 miles from Oahu to Maui (30 minutes FLYING by airplane) and farther from Maui to the Big Island (60 minutes from Kona to Kahalui). It's way too far to fly a helicopter from one island to another. It's even a long flight from Kona to the volcano fields. Save the volcano helicopter trips for when you are ON the Big Island (and even then take one from Hilo).

But I do recommend even a short hike on the Napili Coast trail. Even wimps like my husband and me found it pretty easy. The hardest part were all the spider webs we broke through because we did the trail at the crack of dawn.