We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Hello all, I am leaving for Hawaii April 30th Maui )5 nights),Kauaui (3ngihts), Oahu (3 nights 4 days)on a honeymoon trip. We have limited budget so trying to figure out which activity to select.

We really need some help with activities if any one would be kind enough to help. Below I have listed activitied according in order of what looks appealing:

1/Most importantly is it possible to find a HELICOPTER (not air plane) ride to see Big Island's active volcano, from Maui or Oahu? I am not visiting the Island of Hawaii on this visit but would love to see an active volcano.

Right now we are choosing between a 30 min. BI (volcano) OR Kaui(Napali/Waimea)heli. ride. The reason I prefer BI volcano helicopter ride is because I can always see Waimea Canyon /Napali coast vis boat ride.

2/Is the Zip line activity worth it? If so, which co. (from your experience) would you recommend?

3/For a non-swimmer like me and my husband a deep sea submarine adventure also seems appealing. But, I've read some reviews which make it seem boring. Is it worth it or should I do the zip line instead?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

In Maui, I'd definately skip the submarine and go to the Maui Ocean Center instead. The price is $21 or you can get a week ticket for $24 and go more than once. You'll see everything you would see on the sub - and more (like sharks, rays, etc.) and learn about the relationship bt the hawaiians and the sea. It's a great place.

Even as non-swimmers, I would try to snorkel one day. Rent life vests with your snorkel stuff and try black rock or Kam III. There are a ton ofr people at Black Rock which is good if you get into trouble and and you shouldn't have to go out too far. Kam III has life guards and pretty good snorkeling close to shore. There may be better, safer places to snorkel in Oahu, so check that out too, but you should try it.

I don't know about the heli to BI. A few things to keep in mind though. Unless it's changed from when I last checked, you aren't going to see a gushing volcano like on the National Geographic channel. The most you might see if smoking cinder cones (bascially holes - like traffic cones) in the crater of the volcano. You may be able to see red lava down inside them, but it's not likely to be coming out the top. I don't believe there are any surface lava flows right now, meaning it's all flowing through the tunnels straight to the sea. A tour would probably take you by the shore where you can see the steam rising as the lava hits the sea. Now, I've done an airplane tour while on the BI and it is really, really cool. I loved seeing the volcano, even though it was only cinder cones. (We did get lucky and get to hike to surface flows though). I just want to make sure you know what to expect so you wouldn't be dissappointed. For the cost of the trip, which I'm sure is high, I would probably recommend just doing something else fun on the islands you are on. For the cost of the trip, you may be able to do two things. You may also want to take the money and put it towards a longer heli ride in Kauai. We did an hour trip there and it was breathtaking. One of the coolest things I've ever done. Do the longer trip - it's completely worth it. I've not been on a boat tour around Na Pali, but seeing it by air is like nothing else. Also, keep in mind, that winter seas can be rougher, so it may effect your ability to do a boat tour around Na Pali.

So, in conclusion - here are my suggestions:

* No sub - do Maui Ocean Center

* Get life vests and find a safe place to try snorkeling. Even if you just stick your head in the water with your feet on the ground - you'll be amazed. - or - take the BU heli money and do a snorkel cruise either on Oahu or Maui where they will give you life vests and provide plenty of saftey and security while you are in the water.

*Heli ride - as long as you can afford - over Kauai. Try to go with a company with the ones where they take the doors off. It's SOOOO cool. Literally - too. Wear warm cloths for that.

* Save your money for quality instead of quanity. You are hitting 3 islands pretty quickly. You want to have time to explore them and drive around and see the free sites - oh and visit the beach a little:-) "Activities" usually eat up huge chunks of time. See as much of the islands as you can by car, and use your budget for just a few special things - or better dining.

*Make sure you have the "Revelaed" series. Maui, Kauai, and Oahu Revealed. Read them, highlight, and make lists of your must-do's and plan around that. You won't see it all - decide what's most important to you.

Sounds like a fun trip - have a great time and congrats on your marriage!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Jojow,thank you for such an informative and promt reply! Your post has gotten me really excited. :)Oh yes, i do have what everyone calls the blue bible (all except for Kauai one,so I should be fine).It's been extremely helpful!!V.detailed!

MOST IMPORTANTLY Would like to talk about snorkeling:

I just completely ruled out the idea of being able to snorkle since we are non-swimmers I will def. check into it. But, your idea of being able to snorkle wearing life vests despite being nonswimmers is giving me ne whope! Realand diving even a little with aid of ropes or a life vest just seems so exciting to me. Atleast we can float so maybe there is still a possibilty to include snorkeling if we are gong to be attached to a rope line of some kind.

Also, thanks for clearing up the helicopter ride confusion. Kauai is going to be it I decided. As for the Submarine and Maui Ocean center I will skip both. Visited Mall of America and Baltimore aquarium and found it boring. These activities don't seem to have enough thrill.

I'm thinking of doing the 2hr. ride through Wailea River to see Fern Grotto instead of half day Napali coast/Waimea Canyon boat ride.

I just want to do one activity on each island in 12 days so won't be too busy I hope.

Has anyone tried ziplinng?Any recommendations?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Yeah, my fiance and I did a zip line tour in Kaui. It was a lot of fun. And I'm a bit of a thrill junkie... skydiving, diving, rock climbing, all that. That said, there was a guy with us who was afraid of heights, and he had a blast, too. I think the group was "Princeville Adventures," and as the name implies they're up north on the Napali coast. The trip ends with a stop at a great little swimming hole. Check 'em out.

BTW, you should def. hike the Napali coast when you're up that way. It's really awsome. We did it that morning and did the zipping in the afternoon.

In MAui, I recommend getting up at 3am and driving up to Haleakala for the sunrise. If it hits, it's something you'll never forget. How often can you sit above the clouds and watch the sun break through?

Have a blast!

alberta , canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

We really enjoyed the zipline on Maui. Just be sure to book ahead of time - friends tried booking a week in advance and were out of luck. It is becoming quite popular. I think the company name is Eco Adventures? Google search will find it.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Yes, the Maui Eco-Adventures zipline tour looks like a blast and is getting great reviews.

I would definitely choose the Napali boat excursion over the Fern Grotto thing - much more spectacular.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

MAui is pretty, but you'll see much more spectacular scenery if you Zip Line in Kaui. Just my two cents.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Cinebard, I will def.look into your suggestion for the Kauai ziplining esp. in the north shore since thats that part best scenic views of all of Hawaii...I think the grop is called Princeville Ranch adventures something or other, may have been ot their web site.

the Napali coast hike might NOT be for

us though..I hear it's a tough hike for serious hikers and not beginners like us . But, I guess the zipline should,include a small hike through Kauaui's forests.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Well, i want to skip Napali coast boat excursion because I'll be seeing Napali coast from air..also bcos Fern Grotto boat tour is only $20.

Thing is I dont want to spend more than $500-$600 on activities. The helicopter ride itself will be $400 for 2 ppl. unless I do the 30 min ride.

There are cheaper heli. rides or $140 per person for 1 hr and $100 per perosn for 30 mins but I want to do the one with the doors off. Looks like those are offered only by 2 comapanies Jack Harter and Inter Island but for a whole 1 hr. not 30 mins

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Yeah, I it is Princeville RANCH adventures. I think you'll really love it, You will hike through some nice areas during the Zip Tour, but just be aware that nothing will compare to the views you'll get on the Napali Coast hike.

I don't know what level of hiker you are, but if it's a DRY day I would suggest you at least try the hike. It's not that bad, especially at the beginning. They post a lot of signs that are meant to scare you, but the trail doesn't get nutty until about halfway to the beach.

If you walk in 10 mins you'll come to the first overlook and be blown away. It's up a hill, but the first leg actually has some wooden steps laid in, so it's not crazy. Then, you can head back if you like or keep on going if you're feeling adventurous. Just don't try the hike in heels, like one woman we saw! Hilarious.

If it's raining or has been raining a lot, then I wouldn't recommend it as the trail can get pretty dicey when it's wet.

Have fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! So many hawaii activities and so little time!!

Cinebard, thanks I appreciate the tips! I am really looking forward to the zipline, it looks so exciting. I am still not sure about Napali coast hike since we have never really hiked before and not exactly athletic and I read it's only for serious hikers...not me at all!

I wonder is the Princville Ranch the best option to do the zipline around the North shore Kauai area?

I notied they say you are not supposed o do it with a bad back and I have a weak back from lack of exercise. I'm sure this would be considered minor.